Using both sexed and conventional semen on a flush ?

Help Support Steer Planet:

jd720

Planning a flush to Grandmaster and I have both sexed and conventional semen. Would like to have heifers out of this mating  but I know the sexed semen doesn`t always work well when used on a flush. Would I be stacking the deck in my favor by using a straw of each on both breedings or would I just be wasting the more expensive sexed semen ?

BadgerFan

you'd be wasting your money because the conventional straw of semen has about 15 times as many sperm cells (both X and Y) as the sexed straw.  The conventional straw would overwhelm the sexed straw just by shear number of cells.

HF CHARS

we have used sexed on the first breeding and conventional on the second,,,our theory is you get most  eggs first breeding and the more aggressive conventional cleans up the rest second breeding ,,we were 85% heifers last year this way

leanbeef

If I were gonna try that, I might use the sexed semen first...give it a "head start" and then use the conventional semen as a safety precaution in case the sexed semen didn't get the job done. I think putting a straw of each in at the same time just cancels out the time and effort and expense of separating it to begin with.

Good luck! It's an interesting idea...

jd720

HF CHARS said:
we have used sexed on the first breeding and conventional on the second,,,our theory is you get most  eggs first breeding and the more aggressive conventional cleans up the rest second breeding ,,we were 85% heifers last year this way
[
So if we use the sexed semen first should we use 2 straws of sexed and then just 1 straw of conventional semen on the second breeding ?

leanbeef

HF CHARS...I started to send you a pm, but I think other people may be interested in this information down the road, so I'm just gonna breathe some life back into this thread...

We're flushing a cow late March, and I have a partner who is paying for the flush. We're providing the genetics...a four-year-old SimAngus that has never been flushed. The partner would rather have heifers, and we're discussing using sexed semen followed by conventional semen in an effort to better our chances of heifers. All things considered, I'm not open to risking the entire flush by using only sexed semen.

I remembered this topic had been discussed here, so I did a search and found this thread. I'm wondering if you can give me a little more insight on how many times you've done this and what your success rate has been. We don't flush a lot to begin with, and it's been a couple of years since the last time we flushed a cow. She made 25 #1s and I would love it if we had that kind of day on this one! We'll be flushing three cows on the same day...one will be this partnership, one will be all ours, and one is a cow we raised that the buyer is flushing.

Thanks for any info...

obie105

I would also! So far out of our donor we have one heifer out of nine calves. Embryos or natural. Would really like to up my chances of a heifer on the next flush.