Vegan lifestyle on Oprah today!

Help Support Steer Planet:

irh

Us cattle people need to watch this today, because she loves to get a hit on us alot.  I will have my own descesion of the show, and I bet it won't be too good at this house for sure.  We still like a good ribeye on the grill.  My Husband's quote "You can't bet my Meat!"  Our slogan for over twenty five years of selling grain feed beef.  Our customers keep coming back.

Show Steaks

I heard about this today in class it will be interesting to see how she is going to bash industry now. Guess you can have your opinion and buy everyone elses when you have that much money

Earthmover

I watched the show and didn't see anything wrong with it. The lady from cargill was impressive and really knew her job. The point the gentlemen kept making about small farmers/ranchers who reallly care about their animals was a plus for our industry. Hopefully more people will seek out and buy our freezer beef. What we don't need is to fall to level of the anti's and start bashing before we know the full story, even if it is Oprah. As for the vegan lady,  if she were my wife I really wouldn't care what she ate. LOL

Truthful 101

I sure wish she would find something more constructive to talk about.  Or maybe find a big brother she never knew about.... O0

knabe

a well run slaughterhouse is very impressive from a work-flow product utility perspective.  almost nothing is wasted.

i worked on a project in college where i got to go to the kill floor and freezer for about 150 steers from different breeds 3 years in a row tracking carcass quality.

it's like any field, a lot of skill is required to keep things moving, minimize loss.

people underestimate the value of production line logic.

it has allowed us to eat cheaper, employ lower skilled people, increase predictability of the end product, minimize waste, minimize hazard to the employee, increase convenience.

i wish they could figure out a way to use spinach in hamburgers that wouldn't generate E. coli recalls.  maybe they already do but research shows people don't want spinach.

hamburgman

Your are truly right Knabe, when I got to slaughterhouses and do a walk through i just feel they are the pinnacles of capitalism.  Efficiency is the name of the game and it is amazing how everything is set up to make sure there is as little time was and material waste as possible.

JbarL

knabe said:
it's like any field, a lot of skill is required to keep things moving, minimize loss.

people underestimate the value of production line logic.

sounds alot like recent "snow logic"??  is it really snowing more in theses  northeast areas.of late??...or are we getting worse at keeping it off the interstattes and downtown areas??...this storm now will telll the diffeence....... good luck to all those who have to travel in it....jbarl.

cattlemanr

Did anyone notice that when they went shopping with the Vegan Lady that they had products that were like butter and like Mayo, and even sausage without animal products.  My question is if they want to be Vegans why are they copying animal food products? Seriously, why don't they just use the real thing instead of manufacturing fake food? How can that be healthy?

firesweepranch

Watching it now. The slaughterhouse was awesome, having worked in one before that is just the cat's meow! Did anyone notice how Oprah cut off the gal with the family that came from a dairy farming background? Oprah asked her how it went to be vegan for a week and the gal was trying to tell her that it did not work for them (her father in law is a dairy man), and Oprah cut her off and just went on to something else? Gosh, that was RUDE!  ;)
Michael, the guest speaker, did the movie Food Inc, which I show in my ag history class because it goes into government control over crops and such, He is definitely a left winger!