Velvet look

Help Support Steer Planet:

steershower09

My calf has all of its hair going forward, trained really well, and when i brush the hair straight up the hair becomes alot thicker, but it just looks like hair that is packed together, how do i get that velvet look to the hair?

ShowmanQ

steershower09 said:
My calf has all of its hair going forward, trained really well, and when i brush the hair straight up the hair becomes alot thicker, but it just looks like hair that is packed together, how do i get that velvet look to the hair?

I know what you mean by "velvet". Get the hair very very well trained first. Then when you clip, you will go over the entire body taking off the "guard hairs" or "flyers". Taking out the long flyers will give the calf that velvety appearance when all the hair stands on its own.

steershower09

Thanks,his hair is trained really well and its really thick. i knew i had it trained well and had enough of it, but noticed it still didnt have that velvet look to it like ive seen on other steers.

Bawndoh

Maybe when you are combing it forward it flattens the hair.  It typically lays down more, and doesnt stand on end when you comb it forward.  When you blow the hair, how do you blow it??  Do you lay the hose against the calf, or blow perpindicular to their body?  The technique you use can make a huge difference in the way the hair lays.

steershower09

When i comb it forward, it is flat, but when i comb it straight up the hair stands up but its more packed together then the velvet look, when i blow the hair out after washing i blow it forward.

Bawndoh

When you blow the hair.  Blow right into the body.  That way the hair comes right back at you and stands straight out, and does not lay flat.  It pops.

Cattledog

I would still recomend that you trim the guard hairs a little closer.  Taking the coat a little tighter will give that smooth look you are looking for.