Video: NWSS History and the Dyed Charolais Steer Controversy

Help Support Steer Planet:

chambero

That "kid" is Brandon Horn who now lives in TX and is one of the biggest steer producers down here.  And that steer wasnt pure shorthorn.  But he was one of the best ever if there is such a thing.

aj

I was thinking that the old man died during the grand drive or something. I think the Shorthorn fraternity claimed the calf as a purebred shorthorn. I think he was front cover of Shorthorn country. It was a revolution. A glorious moment in Shorthorn history. I would be curious on the date. I was thinking it was in the era of bigger framed cattle. Maybe early 90. Late 80's.

MCC

Larry didn't die in Denver he died the following year in Ok. City the morning of the steer show there. Brandon or Colby can't remember which one  went on ahead and showed and won Ok. City with another Shorty.

oldhorn

In the late 30's or early 40's,  Iowa State College showed a black steer by the name of Toby to the grand championship at the International in Chicago.  He showed as a shorthorn because his sire was a shorthorn and the sire determined the breed of the calf.  The interesting part of this story came the next year when they brought him back, not very much heavier, and won the championship again.  They justified doing this by saying they were a "teaching" institution and were out to prove that it could be done.  Since we lived only 40 miles from Ames, our 4h club made several trips each year to judging clinics, and I saw him on two occasions the year after his first win.  I do believe the International would be classed as a major show and was the ultimate honor until closed the stockyards o Halsted Street.

shortyjock89

Kind of out of context, but I didn't even know the Chicago stockyards were on Halstead....aka IL Rt 1.  I live a mile from that road, and I know of at least one SP member who lives directly on it (quite a few miles south of Chicago).  So I guess when Grandpa to the International to show, it wasn't very hard to get there haha.  (lol)

creativecattle

Oldhorn I love this story! I wish that I would have had the chance to see the International. Everyone talks about it being the place to be back then.

SmokesRule

chambero said:
That "kid" is Brandon Horn who now lives in TX and is one of the biggest steer producers down here.  And that steer wasnt pure shorthorn.  But he was one of the best ever if there is such a thing.

What year did the horn steer win denver? anyone got a pic?

shoreacres

wfq said:
It may be that steers skeleton but the one that is prominently on display in the Weber Lecture hall is alot older than the early 1970's and that is the only one I know about.
  I talked to Audrey Lindskog today. She did not know if the skeleton was from Conoco or not. She did tell me about the tour that he made to Japan, though.  It was real fun talking about that with her. What a great livestock family.

Latest posts