Waiting on a cow...

Help Support Steer Planet:

VJ

When you don't have a huge cowherd every cow that calves is an event. I have a cow that bagged up tight today and started acting "funny". We locked her up tonight and are playing the waiting game. The wind is blowing 40mph and we could be in for some severe weather tonight. Why don't she just lay down and have it so I can quit worrying? She's bred to Dirty Hairy and due Wed so everything should be OK but I hate the waiting! Anybody else have this anxiety?

Cattledog

Got some weather coming in huh.  I'll put my money on her going tonight!  Keep us updated and good luck!

Chris Bingham

I always have one or two that decided to hold out till the weather gets nasty. I had one born last year in the evening right before an ice storm hit and another one that waited and moved herself to the furthest part of the pasture during a heavy rain.

I dont have that many cows too so every cow that calves is also an event.

OH Breeder

Just when you don't expect them to drop they do. We had a heifer go early today. Jake's Proud Jazz x Primo daughter. WEighed calf 58#s. Slipped her out and she is up and eating good tonight.Good luck we have four more due tomorrow.

Attachments

• Primo's_baby_003sm good.JPG
    Primo's_baby_003sm good.JPG
    138.8 KB · Views: 182

Cattledog

OH Breeder said:
Just when you don't expect them to drop they do. We had a heifer go early today. Jake's Proud Jazz x Primo daughter. WEighed calf 58#s. Slipped her out and she is up and eating good tonight.Good luck we have four more due tomorrow.

Nice calf!  Good luck on the rest.  We had three about a month ago due on the same date and as soon as the first calf was born the water broke on one of the other ones and after that one was born the last one had hers about 6 hours later.  Talk about a full barn!  I was a nervous wreck!

DTW

I am the same way.  I had one acting funny this morning walkiing the fences but she never did anything.  Finally i ran her in the chute and could go in a foot and find the calf's feet and head and it wasnt big at all for a cow's sixth calf.  She was fully dialated but never layed down to push and never say water bag.  Calf was very lively when i grabbed its feet.  Gave her 8 cc of oxytocin and 45 mins later went out and she had the calf licked clean.  Vet had me to it with a cow last year that had a big calf that she wasnt getting up in the birth canal and an hour later that cow had feet sticking out and pulled 112 lb bull calf out of her.  Vet says it is easier to pull one when in the birth canal versus down inside her yet.  And i have to say it works.
Now if i could get close enough to the calf to give her the scour medicine.  Might be this cows last trip getting to old to deal with a cow that is so mean i cant even get in the pen or stand on the other side of the fence without  her chasing me out.

Cattledog

VJ said:
When you don't have a huge cowherd every cow that calves is an event. I have a cow that bagged up tight today and started acting "funny". We locked her up tonight and are playing the waiting game. The wind is blowing 40mph and we could be in for some severe weather tonight. Why don't she just lay down and have it so I can quit worrying? She's bred to Dirty Hairy and due Wed so everything should be OK but I hate the waiting! Anybody else have this anxiety?

I forgot to comment on how bad my anxiety gets.  My mom says that I am not a very fun person to deal with when calving season comes around!  My grandfather defends me though...he says that it is a sign that I really care about the cattle and that he would wonder how committed I am if I didn't get a little worried!

jbw

I sorted the cows up 4 days ago and aparently I missed one, I have to take 4-wheeler out and find her in 220a of pasture and timber. I'm waiting for this round of storms to pass. Under Severe ts warning with 70 mph winds and pouring rain. I'm headed out when it lets up. Don't feel like having an oak tree fall on me. Nice knowing ya JBH ;)

OH Breeder

Cattledog said:
VJ said:

I forgot to comment on how bad my anxiety gets.  My mom says that I am not a very fun person to deal with when calving season comes around!  My grandfather defends me though...he says that it is a sign that I really care about the cattle and that he would wonder how committed I am if I didn't get a little worried!

My coworkers think I am crazy, I travel alot for aliving. I call home ever few hours to check in. I have driven 6 hours one way to get the farm to see a new born calf only to get back on the road. I too am not always the nicest to be around ESP. when they have trouble. That always freaks me out. But you are right, we wouln't get worked up if we didn't care.

VJ

VJ said:
IT'S A BOY! He's up and nursing. I love them DH calves. They look good and are vigorous at birth.

OH Breeder

VJ said:
VJ said:
IT'S A BOY! He's up and nursing. I love them DH calves. They look good and are vigorous at birth.

CONGRATS! (thumbsup)

we are 5 heifers  our of 4 cows this year. i am hoping for at least two steer calves. We didn't ahve that many last year.

jbw

DTW I'll call ya at 2 a.m. to see if I need to bring the gun. One of you might need some relief!

DTW

JBW good thing i dont own a gun or that guy may have lead poisening by now.
Going to try to give the scour medicine to the calf here again for the sixth time.  Hopefully i can get her out of the pen this time without her chasing me out.

box6rranch

Congrats!!!! I'm right there with you on the nervous train :) We only have one more to go but she's big as a bus and it's her first calf. She's not due for another month. We wonder if she has twins.
We get up all night long to check on the progress of the cows that are close that we put in the barn. We have never yet had one born in the middle of the night. I can't figure out why we torture ourselves other than the one time we don't check something would probably happen.

Show Dad

OH Breeder said:
CONGRATS! (thumbsup)

we are 5 heifers  our of 4 cows this year. i am hoping for at least two steer calves. We didn't ahve that many last year.

Hey, how do you get them to drop steer calves?

I've never figured out how to get that done. I have always had to band my bull calves. :p

OH Breeder

shortdawg said:
OH Breeder - 58 lbs - I call that calving ease for sure.

The boys weighed her an hour after birth. The heifer basically stood up and she just slipped out. And she is not even out of a Lowline. KIDDDING KIDDING.

Latest posts