Walks Alone

Help Support Steer Planet:

Bulldaddy

My fall born Walks Alone calves have been in the 60-70 lb range and one born in Feb weighed 94 lb.  All born unaisisted and vigorous.  Here is a photo of one out of an angus cow that weighed 68 lbs.

Attachments

• X31WALKSALONEIMG_3587LORE.jpg
    X31WALKSALONEIMG_3587LORE.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 667

farmboy

I haven't seen them yet but a friend of mine has had quite a few WA calves. He says they are thick thick thick but almost all of them have serious structure issues. Said they were very big at birth

stithka

SRC said:
What are the Birthweights like on Walks Alone?

I have had three WA's this week (2 heifers and 1 bull).
The birthweights are on the large side.  I had an Ali daughter that had a 105 lb bull calf.  I
had a 6807xShort that had one at 125 lbs.  And I had an angusxlimmi have one at 102 lbs. 
Luckily, all were born assisted.  All are very heavy structured and appear to be muscular and square.
However, two of them are a little straight on their front ends.  Time will tell!
( I have high hopes for the bull calf.  His ALi dam usually doesn't miss!)

yuppiecowboy

Bing, your opinion of Monopoly struck me. It goes without saying that he sired as many or more high sellers and winners lately than anything, but from my experience and what I know of others, consistency is one of his few glaring faults. Myself and others have experienced that there are alot of throw aways breeding to Monopoly, but a good one is good.

I have seen quite a few WA. My take is that they are a whole lot of mass and power but can be real piecey. Like they are made out of spare parts. Surprisingly some are too framy as well. But when you get one to put the pieces together, lookout. I havent heard of any real horror stories on birth weight, but because of their shape it is not uncommon to get the chains out and give a yank.

Both great bulls for sure who are going to have their share of big sellers and big winners for the next few years.

vet tech

I have heard and seen nothing but good calves from him. I hear that he works better on moderate good shouldered cows as apposed to larger framed cows. Also he powers them up as good as any bull out there and they all seem to be pretty good haired. From my experience and people I have talked to he calves them out easier than HW and their head shape is a little more ideal for calving. Just my observations. I will be using him a lot this year

Freddy

North central -- Nebraska on highway 183 - 30 mi
Just from reading this post ,it reminds me of the one you guys wrote for Alias  a couple years ago....I think Walk Alone will work, but you need to be very select in the cows you use, many of these clubby cows you guys have are not structureally correct to start with... If you don't believe me go to the pen out behind some Embryo technican  place and survey the donor cows out there ....Use him on cows that are structurally correct and he    has enough power to make you some dam good calves... Did I mention power ,something in my opinion MONOPOLY doesn't have enough of, there pretty ,lots of hair ,and have good structure  but he also needs certain cows to work at his best...

Sounds like Stithka  Will have some very good calves to me ,the bigger birthweights are part of raising the kind that are winning in the show ring ,.......The birth weight is quiite a bit like the structure, alot of the clubby type females will definitely throw bigger birthweight ....I personally think Walk Alone might work on good Angus cows ,they proably don't  need to be small  or some of the Ohlde  smaller ones ....We had a tremendous looking calf  last fall out of him and A PUREBRED cHAROLAIS cow of moderate size, 92 lb. calf and had a quick pnemonia and lost him....gonna try it again, have her set up to flush...

flacowman

Freddy what was the breeding on that char cow?  I have a nagging suspicion that a walks alone x Firemaker would a near unbeatable calf, thinking about flushing one of mine to him for a few jam up county calves for the local kids to see how they turn out

Freddy

North central -- Nebraska on highway 183 - 30 mi
The cow is a WYOMING WIND  moderate frame ,not big and has a full sister in Ryan Wents herd the last I knew ,she raised a fall calf that brought 19,500 and he flushed he later ........On the bottom side it was ASC ELIMINATOR 023 AND THEN MY MAIN base sire FREDDY 178 ...tHIS COW DON'T HAVE THE PRETTIEST BAG
but she gets that from ASC ELIMINATOR 032,ryans cow had a beautiful bag, the ELIMINATORS WERE THE RIGHT kind of cows but could have bag problems with to much milk , but I'd rather have it that way then not have any... The Shurrtop Intimidator bull had that problem with not much milk and one of his best daughters I bred to ELIMINATOR and had one of the best cows on our place ROSE MAIDEN 702 ,BUT SHE IS ABOUT DONE... 

i WALKED THROUGH my springers earlier and some of the recent calves out of Charolais cows are still there and our calves look pretty good and the word that describles a lot of them the best is  BOJO...........

hamburgman

Our two were probably 80lbs or less.  They aren't fine boned, but not heavy heavy boned either, other than that i like the looks of them.

oldwood

we have two walks alone calves both bulls . came 70 -80 lb range , just right on bone, the one may very well be our best calf, along with the monoploys. both out of med to large framed cows. definitely using him more this year.

wra

here is walks alone at stud the second week of december 2010...

Attachments

• walks alone.jpg
    walks alone.jpg
    870.1 KB · Views: 472

Ohio1

I always like seeing bulls at the stud. He is small but I like him just use him on bigger cows and he will be fine. Didnt we say monopoly was small also when he came out

chambero

I saw a lot of Walks Alone calves this spring in sales.  Relative to Heat Wave calves in the same sales of the same age, the Walks Alone calves were significantly free-er moving and sound.

I raised one red Walks Alone steer this fall that toes out a little on the front, but moves great.  We'll see how he turns out because we are going to feed him. 

CAB

iowahawkeyes1 said:
I always like seeing bulls at the stud. He is small but I like him just use him on bigger cows and he will be fine. Didnt we say monopoly was small also when he came out

Don't use him on too big of a cow. He breeds bigger than he looks like he would.

vet tech

CAB said:
iowahawkeyes1 said:

Don't use him on too big of a cow. He breeds bigger than he looks like he would.
Agreed. That Full Flush in him will poke its head in there on calves

Bulldaddy

Will have a bunch more Walks Alone calves in August out of different kind of cows but the ones out of angus and simangus have been easily born, structurally correct and very moderate.  I will say that the hair is good, just not a lot of it.  Maybe that is from the Angus.  Not near as hairy as my Monopolies or as much bone.  I am anxious to see how they work on some Char X cows trying for some smokes.

afhm

I didn't think Copyright was that small when I saw him a years & a half ago.  Also he is not a purebred.

dcattle

This is one of our walks alone heifer out of a wmw cow

Attachments

• 0328111737.jpg
    0328111737.jpg
    219.9 KB · Views: 284
  • 0329111754J.jpg
    0329111754J.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 275
  • 0329111754a.jpg
    0329111754a.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 314