Walks Alone

Help Support Steer Planet:

RCF Farms

What has Walks Alone been working on best, seen some calves and they are nice. My cows are small to moderate, in need of muscle and stoutened up. Want a bull that will put a big butt on its calf.

gary89

As long as your cows are sound he should work from what I have seen. If they are from clubby genetics be careful.

Mueller Show Cattle

I like using Walks Alone on taller cows because he shortens them up ALOT but adds alot of muscle. I used him on my tall Maine cows and had some of the shortest steers in the shows but were some of the thickest steers in the shows. Great calves just short, I would suggest using him on your tallest cows. By the sounds of it, you have shorter cows, if you use him, be prepared for a really short calf. Do a search on SP as there has been alot of talk on him on SP.

irh

What is everyone's thoughts on the temperment of his calve's.  Been hearing some stories, would like to use him on two big maine cows?

RCF Farms

Thats what I thought, just wanted to check. Appreciate the input, might go with My Turn on my short cows. have an Angus and a old big simmy cow I may give walks Alone a try on.

Bulldaddy

RCF Farms said:
What has Walks Alone been working on best, seen some calves and they are nice. My cows are small to moderate, in need of muscle and stoutened up. Want a bull that will put a big butt on its calf.

For me, Walks Alone has worked on large to moderate cows, mostly SimAngus and Char X cows. He adds style and lots of muscle with bone and good hair and, yes, we does seem to put a big butt on most of his calves.

dcbehle

irh said:
What is everyone's thoughts on the temperment of his calve's.  Been hearing some stories, would like to use him on two big maine cows?

My son is showing his first Walks Alone calf and he is totally jacked! He named him Walker, but I think the breeder may have been more correct when he called him Lucky. Lucky - as in he is lucky that he hasn't been whacked on the head yet. When we first picked him out he was very spooked and it showed in his eyes as well as how he ran around the pen. We've had him a couple of months now and while he has lost that spooked look in his eyes, he is still the most nervous animal we have in the pen. He won't come up to the feed bunk while we are near it. That being said, we have no head gate or chute to catch animals and have never even had to use a lariat to catch him. We just corner him with other calves and put the halter over his head either by hand or using a show stick.

While he still is very spirited when we lead him around, I love the look he gives because you never have to work to keep his head up and his hears are always perked forward. The biggest issue we have now is that Walker likes to run. Every time we take him out of a trailer, we need to have limited space in front of him and a firm grip. He likes to take off like a horse out of the starters gate. Walker has never been in a show ring yet, but my son can't wait until the Cattlemen's Classic Jr. Show coming up in Nebrasaka in February.

I realize this is only one animal, but I'm glad my 17 year old son is showing him and not my 14 year old girl. She would be very scared to bring him in the ring. My son is hoping to be the first calf out of the ring when shown, just hopefully not because he is on a dead run!

OH Breeder

RCF Farms said:

Take a look at Rodgers new bulls. Looks like Walks Alone clicked with something. There are 4 think in his new line up.

GoWyo

dcbehle -- you might try backing him out of the trailer if possible to stop that problem before it gets worse with increase in size.  Just an idea.