wanted: good show feed?

Help Support Steer Planet:

Woodland Farms Show Cattl

ok heres the scoop. ive been feeding a roasted feed that my neighbor makes ever since i started in the cattle business. the price has always been resonable and ive always beem happy with the finish it puts on the steers. recentely tho the price went up to 9.50 a bag. no big deal right? well we used to pay for it as he mixed it and just get it ten bags at a time and he would store the rest. well the bill got screwed up a couple times and we paid for way more feed than we actually got. now that we got that straightened outeverytime i get feed theres some redilculous charge added. at first it was a bagging fee of 20 dollars per ton, not happy but ill deal with it, then a 20 dollar labor fee on top of that, now im really irritated, last time i got feed now its all that plusa 20 dollar storage fee. now im a little pissed. ive been doing business with this guy for 10 years and now hes gonna pull this? well bottom line he wont do anything different and im done with him. so my question is to everyone here... whats a real good reasonably priced feed that im not gonna get jerked around on? and possibly comes with a decent knowlegde base of how to feed it? this other guy was no where near a nutritionist and had one feed that you had to experiment with.
any help would be really great!!!

Ms Ray

There are many different  brands of show feeds, everyone you ask will tell you a different brand.  See what is available in your area and compare prices and nutrition.

wonderchic

JTM said:
www.rowenutrition.com
Gene Rowe can answer any questions you may have. This stuff is as good or better than any national brand and is priced lower.
I concur. I didn't think we would like it, being long time Umbarger users-but it is a real nice show feed that is efficient.

pweaver

I also agree, a good feed and priced so you don't have to sell the farm.  Really nice for putting a good fill on heifers.  They have a website.  Call him.  They might have a dealer in your area or you could become one.

twistedhshowstock

The thing I always tell people about the commercially bagged feeds is this.  Sure there are differences in the feeds themselves, but when it comes to quality, across the board they are pretty even.  The difference in my opinion comes from the dealers.  When you are looking for a new feed, go to the dealers and find which ones are getting fresh feed in on a regular basis and are rotating their stock more.  When it comes to commercially bagged feeds, the number one factor affecting quality in my opinion is freshness of the feed.

Boot Jack Bulls

twistedhshowstock said:
The thing I always tell people about the commercially bagged feeds is this.  Sure there are differences in the feeds themselves, but when it comes to quality, across the board they are pretty even.  The difference in my opinion comes from the dealers.  When you are looking for a new feed, go to the dealers and find which ones are getting fresh feed in on a regular basis and are rotating their stock more.  When it comes to commercially bagged feeds, the number one factor affecting quality in my opinion is freshness of the feed.

I would tend to agree. We feed purina show chow to our show stock and a nutritionalist developed ration for the breeding stock. We have asked several dealers to make a comparable show feed, but the product has never measured up to the bag brand. Whatever way you go, I think the key is to find a dealer who knows cattle, who knows your program, and probably most importantly, who knows what it takes to maintain show cattle. Also, if a lot of other show strings in your area used the feed and dealer, there's a good reason. If you find one like this who is good to work with and has some pride in their work also, you should be golden!

dap3200

I am an Umbarger Show Feeds dealer located in Lapeer, MI. Check out the shiw feeds and supplies on our website at www.parksshowcattle.com. If I can help let me know. We currently havr customers all over the thumb. I have fed about every brand, mixed our own and have settled on Umbargers. I feel our cattle have never performed better on it. If I can help let me know. Thats what I am here for

NHR

Woodland Farms Show Cattl said:
im up in the thumb of michigan. anyone know of anything here? weve got kent and purina dealers, anyone have any luck with either of them?

Kent and Purina are both really good feeds!

Latest posts