WARTS!!!

Help Support Steer Planet:

4Ts4H

Warts.  Where do they come from?  How can you stop them from showing up?  Is there anyway to safely get rid of them w/o calling the vet?

Warts - I figgin' hate them!!!

red

Warts are caused by a virus. They can be spread cattle to cattle although not to humans. I pull them off w/ tweesers & let them bleed out.
There are vaccinations (vet) but sometimes it's not the right strain. I've found I got more warts w/ them. There are several wart products over the counter. I think one is call Wart Off?

I hate them too!

Red

GRsimm

I have always heard cut them off then feed them back to them and it works like a homemade vaccine also some people around us take them to the vet and have them make a vaccine out of the warts. THEY SURE DO KNOW HOW TO SHOW UP AT THE WRONG TIME 2..

red

GRsimm said:
I have always heard cut them off then feed them back to them and it works like a homemade vaccine also some people around us take them to the vet and have them make a vaccine out of the warts. THEY SURE DO KNOW HOW TO SHOW UP AT THE WRONG TIME 2..

That's what our vet said to do also. I forgot that little tidbit!  :)))

Red

renegade

I was told to put lemon juice on the spot after cutting it off.  My blue steer is the only one that has them and he had a HUGE one on his eye and I was to scared about cutting his eye so I just waited (I was gonna take him to the vet) and he ripped it off and was fine

kanshow

We crush them with pliers and that seems to start the immune response..      But obviously they already have them and ours always break out at the wrong time. 

txshowlamb

it just sounds nasty to feed warts to your steer it almost makes you think did your parents feed warts to you when you where a baby so you never got them again lol

Steer Boy 101

We feed them to them and that animal will never get htem agian the really hard ones i see more on angus there smal are more white. idk but wart vacines dont work like ya said there too many starains. Feeding them back make sures you "vacinate" the right strain make sure to put them in there feed mix up good and dont put it with alot of feed make sure they get them all. Have my luck yah they suck

showstick09

Warts are awful. My steer last year had a couple and after i got them off, they never came back. You ain't got to guy buy any creams or anything, all you need is some fishing line. Just take the fishing line and put it around the base of the wart and then tie it like your going to tie your shoe, except don't do the bunny ears. Just tie it in a knot and pull and the fishing line will go right through the wart. Hope I made since.

linnettejane

4Ts4H said:
linnettejane said:
cute them off, feed them to them, then put used motor oil over the area where you cut them off...

Wow, motor oil - I didn't see that one coming.  Any idea what the underlying principle is there???

i really dont know...its just what an old timer told me once, his granddaughters showed steers with me, i usually showed calves off my uncles farm and had never had the wart issue before, but one year i decided to go elsewhere and bought a calf at the ohio roundup....he ended up getting warts a few weeks later really bad....this oldtimer actually came out to my house and took care of it for me....he cut them off, fed them, and then rubbed used motor oil over the area where they were....they never came back and another one never showed up.....oh, and he specifically said it had to be used, black....he may have given me a reason back then, but i dont remember it now....thats been quite a few years ago.....