Wash Rack Advice

Help Support Steer Planet:

estspx

I have a covered cement wash rack attached to my barn that is 14' X 24'.  I want to put pipes in to keep the calves lined up straight while we are washing them.  I've already purchased 2" flanges and galvanized pipes with end caps.  My question is how should I lay this out.  Space between pipes?  Space between pipes and fence?  Should I just use pipes set about even with the calves flanks?  Pictures would be great.  Once I get it completed I'll post some pics.

Thanks O0

Dozer45

We just build a washrack this summer for our horses and cattle. I looks like stocks that you would put a horse in. Will see if I can get pics

ZNT

estspx said:
I have a covered cement wash rack attached to my barn that is 14' X 24'.  I want to put pipes in to keep the calves lined up straight while we are washing them.  I've already purchased 2" flanges and galvanized pipes with end caps.  My question is how should I lay this out.  Space between pipes?  Space between pipes and fence?  Should I just use pipes set about even with the calves flanks?  Pictures would be great.  Once I get it completed I'll post some pics.

Thanks O0

We cemented pipe sleeves into the ground of our washrack so the poles can be removed.  We also put pvc sleeves over our pools to prevent rust from getting on the light colored cattle.  Poles are 3 feet apart and 3 feet from the fence.  These measurements work well for cattle 400# and up.

Attachments

• washrack.jpg
    washrack.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 5,886

GoWyo

How do you all drain your wash racks?  Into a drain pipe and out to a gravel-filled trench like a septic drain field (expensive), run off onto adjacent ground (muddy mess), any other ideas welcome.

jnjarr

We tied into a field tile for our drain.  The field tile and the wash rack drain are both routed into a sump that is about 20inches across and 24 inches deep.  This allows us to keep one of those slotted 4 inch drain caps over the end of the field tile line so we can keep the field tile free of hair and everything else that could eventually clog it up.  Every once in a while we clean out the sump of all the hair, manure, beetpulp, hay, etc. that washes in there.  Not the funnest job, but beats digging out a tile line!

My washrack got poured before I was prepared to put pipes in.  So instead of poles for our washrack, Riverode made mine by using one of their alley frames and welded a couple of plates on the bottom with 2 holes drilled in the plate on each side.  I took this and used 4 concrete anchors to secure it to the floor and it has worked perfect.

Attachments

• Washrack.jpg
    Washrack.jpg
    599.3 KB · Views: 3,806
  • Washrack 1.jpg
    Washrack 1.jpg
    380.7 KB · Views: 801

ZNT

GoWyo said:
How do you all drain your wash racks?  Into a drain pipe and out to a gravel-filled trench like a septic drain field (expensive), run off onto adjacent ground (muddy mess), any other ideas welcome.

We were lucky enough to have a second septic tank and drainfield right by our barn. That was lucky, because we are limited on space, and our place is very flat, so there really is no place for the water to go.  I have seen a lot of layouts though where the barn is on a little bit of a hill, and the drain pipe goes directly out the back of the barn, down the hill, and away from the pens.  For cold climates, make sure you have enough slope to the drain pipe that it will not freeze.

The width between the pipes in my wash rack are as wide as a sullivan chute i dont remember the inches but the pipes are 3 feed from the wallworks great and mine is at a slight slope and runs into the grass.

Carlson Cattle

jnjarr said:
We tied into a field tile for our drain.  The field tile and the wash rack drain are both routed into a sump that is about 20inches across and 24 inches deep.  This allows us to keep one of those slotted 4 inch drain caps over the end of the field tile line so we can keep the field tile free of hair and everything else that could eventually clog it up.  Every once in a while we clean out the sump of all the hair, manure, beetpulp, hay, etc. that washes in there.  Not the funnest job, but beats digging out a tile line!

My washrack got poured before I was prepared to put pipes in.  So instead of poles for our washrack, Riverode made mine by using one of their alley frames and welded a couple of plates on the bottom with 2 holes drilled in the plate on each side.  I took this and used 4 concrete anchors to secure it to the floor and it has worked perfect.

how big did you make yours? I am going to make one 25 feet wide and how deep should i go? Thanks