Washrack Question

Help Support Steer Planet:

sgeyer

We are in the process of adding a washrack in our barn.  We would like to just have a hydrant in the wash rack, but would also like to have hot water.  In the winters we are very cold so what is the best options to have hot water in a washrack that would only be heated say the 3 or 4 times a winter we would be washing in it.  Would also like suggestions for other must haves in a wash rack if you were starting over.  Size will be 12x19.

Tallcool1

You can buy an "on demand" heater that will actually heat water as it runs through the device.

I believe that is the way we are going to do it.  If memory serves me correctly, they are available in a 110V model.  They aren't the most efficient things in the world, but are certainly more efficient than keeping 50 gallons of water hot all the time!  It isn't like I want to wash calves with 100 degree water.  I would be happy with 70 degree water.

The other thing that is nice about these is that you will never run out of hot water.  As long as you are running water through it, you will have hot water.

sgeyer

We will heat the wash rack with infrared heaters only during the days we are washing and clipping.  It will not be heated everyday.

woltemathangus

A serious must have in my opinion is of course a wash rack that drains properly. But also some sort of stall is very handy. Two bars in the concrete to ensure the cattle stand still is very nice.