Watch Some of the NWSS Events FREE!

Help Support Steer Planet:

Cowboy Up

As far as I have heard, you can't watch the events for free on liveauctions.tv. In one of our Gelbvieh magazines it gave the website www.edjecast.com to watch certain shows and event.

cpubarn

Here is the list as posted on the website today...

NWSS Gelbvieh and Balancer Show:

NWSS Angus ROV Female Show:

NWSS Maine-Anjou/MaineTainer Sale Bull Evaluation:

NWSS Angus ROV Bull Show:

NWSS Hereford Female Show:

NWSS Maine-Anjou Pen Heifer and Pen Bull Show:

NWSS Foundation Angus Female Sale:

NWSS Hereford Bull Show:

NWSS Simmental Pen Bull Show:

NWSS Maine-Anjou/MaineTainer Open Show:

NWSS Simmental Pen Heifer Show:

NWSS: Simmental Sale:

NWSS Pens of Three & Five Prospect Calf Show:

NWSS Open Simmental Bull Show:

NWSS Open Simmental Female Show:

Should be lots of free entertainment, and maybe a bargin or two.  Make sure you log on before the sale if you wish to bid, as each sale will set their own requirements.

shortyjock89

Nice! Should make it pretty nice for some of us who can't make it and don't want to pay the $50.

dori36

Olson Family Shorthorns said:
Nice! Should make it pretty nice for some of us who can't make it and don't want to pay the $50.

Except for those of us who have always watched the Lowline sale and won't be doing it this year!  What a dumb PR move Liveauctions made this year.  They could cover the costs by "hiding' the charges elsewhere and letting us participate free of charge as usual.  It's all about perception and perception for this decision is p--- poor!

TJ

^  I agree.  And I bet the Lowline sale suffers a little because of it. 

dori36

TJ said:

I've been emailing back and forth in the last 24 hrs with John Reed, Sale Manager for the Lowline sale.  He wasn't even aware that the fee had been levied and talked to Brad about it.  Brad convinced him it was necessary for the security updates.  I have no quarrel with the need to weed out fraudulent bidders and non-payers.  I just think it should be paid for by other than the bidders/watchers!

TJ

dori36 said:
TJ said:

I've been emailing back and forth in the last 24 hrs with John Reed, Sale Manager for the Lowline sale.  He wasn't even aware that the fee had been levied and talked to Brad about it.  Brad convinced him it was necessary for the security updates.  I have no quarrel with the need to weed out fraudulent bidders and non-payers.  I just think it should be paid for by other than the bidders/watchers!

I also don't have a quarrel with weeding out fraudulent bidders and I also think it should be paid for by others.  I mean why not set it up where everyone can watch for free, but you have to pre-sign up to bid & pay maybe $20, but that amount would be refundable after you place a bid. 

Bottom line, if I don't go to Denver, I not only will not watch the sale, I will not bid because of this.  And I did bid on a heifer last year... the belted dun.  But, I'm not paying $50 for the "right to bid/watch"... that's insane!  That should be a "sale expense", not a buyers expense. 

Cowboy

I receive lots of sale anouncements thru CAttle Mail, and after LiveAuctionTv posted they were going to charge the 50.00 fee to watch/bid -- it wasn't but a day that I received several notices from EdgeCast that all of thier sales are FREE to watch - FREE to bid, and NO buyer premium added. It didn't take them long to jump on that screw up by Brad --

I haven't had alot of exposure to buying over the internet -- but we HAVE bought a couple over the last few years thru DVAuction. Thier internet buyer added cost is 2% usually -- unless you buy a horse at Pitzer - then it is 4%.

This is going to come down to one very important factor -- an interested BUYING audience. Chase away the crowds, and there are NO buyers left to entice. Simple marketing fact.

I would bet that by the time this winter seasons sales are over, Brad will be wishing to hell he had never done it this way -- time will tell -- but I will never pay to watch a sale, not just to watch any way. That is simply telling the potential buyers they are not welcome, and that the sale managers are worth more than they are.    B  S ----------

No buyers, no sale - no future seller base to manage a sale for -- NO SALES COMPANY left ! Simple

Terry

farwest

I am extremely against people having to pay for this service, it makes me think it's middle men making a damn good fast buck off of us cattle producers, the ones of us who produce good cattle so they can have their jobs and create a living with these sales, something maybe their not able to achieve. 
But is it possible that by all the lookers logging on it does clog the system as they are saying, and they have a choice left of three things, to pay a heck of alot more for web service to handle the volume, to leave it as it is and not charge having the system clogged so it holds up sales and the people wanting to buy can't, or charge 50 bucks and eliminate some of the crowd and still have some internet advantage.  I'm not internet genius so i'm just guessing this could be the scenerio.  As is said i'm not going to pay, but i do wonder if this is the situation.

cpubarn

Farwest:

Yes,  With Internet broadcasting there are some key factors. 
1) Speed and consistency of sale conection, to "upload the sale"
2) how many people are viewing the auction, How many "copies" of the video/audio the server sends out.
3) Conection speed of the viewer (usually the biggest factor in speed trouble)

It is different than broadcasting a TV/radio signal where it is  one signal for all to receive.  You need more speed for more viewers.

I think there are a number of good companies, I have bid on live auction, EDJE and DV auction's sites for cows in the past month.  These companies are trying to find a way to provide a service and make money in the progress.  So now is the time for you as a consumer to tell these companies what you like, what you don't and the owners/sale managers what companies work best for you.  If they are growing these growing pains are good in my opinion.  There would be nothing more disapointing  than crossing two states to boadcast an auction that no one watched.

Now we don't have to be mean about it, just help them mold their business into one that serves you the best.

Mark

Farwest said.....
"But is it possible that by all the lookers logging on it does clog the system as they are saying, and they have a choice left of three things, to pay a heck of alot more for web service to handle the volume, to leave it as it is and not charge having the system clogged so it holds up sales and the people wanting to buy can't, or charge 50 bucks and eliminate some of the crowd and still have some internet advantage.  I'm not internet genius so i'm just guessing this could be the scenerio."