Water in California not for ag??

Help Support Steer Planet:

BTDT

Just heard a few news blurbs about how California is not allowing farmers to use water for irrigation or livestock.
While I fully understand that water is at a premium and I certainly do not know all the details, but are car washes still operating? Lawn irrigation? Filling swimming pools? Washing streets? Golf courses still being irrigated? 
I must say, if I lived in California and I was told I couldn't have any water to keep my farm in business, I fear I might say "you keep your water. I will keep my food."

(As a side note, when I heard this story, I didn't hear what state had done this and thought to myself, "Probably California".  I guess I was right and didn't expect any less from such an anti-ag state.)

Anyone want to expand this with details and facts?

knabe

I thought it was bad optics Obama visited CA and then went golfing.

The most interesting thing I've noticed is that eucalyptus trees leaves are dying. I dont think I've ever seen that. They are a massive fire hazard (oakland hills fire) and are aggressive water users.

cowboylaw

It's not the only state where water has been taken from farmers and ranchers.  Oregon farmers and ranchers have lost water rights to "save the native fish" habitat.  That was the "gift" of the worst federal judge on the bench, Judge Lynn Winmill.  To say the least he caters to the enviro's with his decisions, which have shut down many cattle and sheep open range allotments throughout the West to save various birds, reptiles, etc.  With California, it doesn't help either that they are experiencing significant drought. 

knabe

pretty neat video.
http://news.yahoo.com/antarctica-storm-photo-180230536.html

one of the most inconsistent storm creation regions is off the west coast of the US.

It's really amazing how the storms either grab some energy from the equator and how that affects whether a low will hit california, drift north to washington, canada, or even around alaksa.

i'ts also interesting how the sahara gets rain as well as australia being in a zone where everything goes around it with an unstable region above it and a stable persistent region below.

totally cool.

knabe