weak topped steer

Help Support Steer Planet:

Timber1

I am wondering if there are any ways to strengthen a steer's topline? My son has a nice steer but it gets lazy and lets its top sag in the ring. On the move it looks good but when he sets the steer wants to droop in the middle. My son is starting to learn to use the show stick to "poke" him in the belly to get it up but it is a constant struggle.

PaFFA Proud

Well im was taught to use the point of my show stick on top ofhis loin and he will roll out his back straight and even

flacowman

I had a steer with an amazing top who got tired and would sag, especially in a 2 hour showmanship class in south Alabama in August one time.  I hooked him around the navel and kinda jiggled and lifted, make sure you don't violate his privacy though or you'll have an airborne steer in a heartbeat though.

vc

There are several different ways to help keep him from dropping his top, what your son needs to do is practice with the steer and find what works for his animal. flacowman ways is what I have seen used the most.

ROMAX

I had a heifer that would sag her back when i scratched her underline with the stick,but i found if i scratched her brisket area she would stand nice and straight,just  gotta find a spot they like and not get too relaxed.