Weaning time

Help Support Steer Planet:

RedBulls

We weaned over the weekend. It was a beautiful day. Watching the cattle come up through the coulee to the corral was picturesque, so I thought I would share.  I took this video with my phone, so it's not the best.
You may want to turn your speakers down, as it was pretty noisy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivJmuk5dHho

RedBulls

Later on the same day, I took another video of one of the heifers we weaned 2 weeks ago in preparation for our NILE trip to Billings next week. This is a Coalpit Creek Leader 6th daughter out of a first calf heifer. DOB 1/19/14, actual BW 76 lbs, unassisted/unobserved.
Again, don't have your speakers turned up, as it was pretty windy. The irrigation season ended a couple weeks ago. We could sure use a good fall rain!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-lDghYVGBs

RedBulls

Thanks Gargan, The heifer was a bit fidgety in wanting to get back to her mates. We don't supplement our heifers. They do run on decent hay-ground pasture like she is on after weaning, but they will winter on hay and mineral just like the cows.

RedBulls

mark tenenbaum said:
Gargan said:
That's a great set of cows in great order. The hfr calf is really nice as well!/// Ditto-those cows are in great shape-you can see how dry the hills are and the path comig up the hill :(probably a dumb question)is that hiefer closely related to your semen bull? O0
Mark,
If by "semen bull" you mean Coalpit Creek Leader 6th, the heifer is one of his daughters. His daughters are making really good cows. I'm going to have to separate the bull calves from the heifer pairs earlier next year, as some of the little buggers are able to impregnate their 1/2 sisters. I just "luted" 4 of the 23 born this year. They would have had to have got bred at 7 mos of age by their 1/2 sib brothers born during the same period. They ran together until the middle of August. I know that pregnant heifer calves are not that uncommon, but the percentage is pretty high.

Latest posts