Week until fair - steer pics

Help Support Steer Planet:

Davidsonranch

Well we have a week until weigh in at fair.  Weighing about 1385.  Out of a Chi/Angus cow bred to a Dr. Who bred cover bull.  With big forest fire behind house his feed intake has slowed down a little. Going to try a little Winning Fill around fair time.  I would like to thank all of those on this site who have helped with advice and suggestions.  This will be my 11 year olds second steer.
IMG_0272.jpg

vc

He looks good, he definitely looks like he is ready, plenty of cover, muscle, and appears to have a good attitude. His toes look at little long in the picture but I would leave them alone at this point, all in all he looks like a solid fat steer, your son (and you) should be proud.
When we have had one slow down or lose its appetite we have fed them Oat-mo, oats and beetpulp to get them to fill up. The Oat-mo is chopped oat hay and molasses, at the fair we pretty much leave that and hay in front of them the whole time. When it is fresh you can't keep them out of it.

Good luck, and have fun (maybe the fires will be out soon)

shortii

he's a nice looking steer. He looks like he is right on track for your fair. Good luck (clapping) <rock>

Davidsonranch

Thanks.  He is not prettied up, obviously in the pic.  Thought I would catch a pic while I could.  Overall he has been a fun steer. 
VC I would especially like to thank you for your help on this guy.

flacowman

I completely missed 2 words and therefore my post was irrelevant  (clapping)

Nice calf with no serious flaws.  Good luck with him

GHCC

I believe VC was refering to the lenght of his hooves not body length. ;)

Davidsonranch

We trimmed his hooves in late May.  I have to travel over 120 miles one way to someone I trust and has the equipment.  I love the 1385 lbs steer and the 67 lb kid show!

vc

I looked back at the last pictures you posted about a month or so ago, he definitely looks like he bloomed over the last month. I think he should be right at 12:00 when he enters the ring, I would take about ten gallons of water from home, just in case he wont drink the water at the fair grounds, nothing worse than finding out he won't drink.

kidsandkows

Nice calf great job. Hope you guys had fun. We just got done with my daughters first year showing a steer and we had a blast. Im hoping to get some pics up soon. Good Luck at Fair!!!

Davidsonranch

VC, yes I plan on taking a lot of water as the fairgrounds water is yellow and chlorinated to death.  I'm also trying Winning Fill for the first time. Weigh in is next Thurs.  Market class is Friday morning and showmanship is Sat. morning.  We have been giving him tiny amounts to get a taste for it.  But recommendations on how to use it once we get there is greatly appreciated by anyone.

I also forgot to mention, this steer was a twin.