Weight help !

Help Support Steer Planet:

Corriedalesrock

I was going to AI some cows and the weight on the bulls are like 3.4 & 1 & -1.2 . Will someone please tell me the scale and how to turn these to pounds ? Thanks !

obie105

Are those the birth weight epds? What breed? Mature cows or heifers? How big are your cows?

Corriedalesrock

Like on Cattle Visions those are the bw epds but we are new to this and don't know that much about it... We are wanting to use a bull with a bw between 68 and84 lbs

obie105

Those are the birth weight epds. Each breed is a little bit different on how they do their epd system that's why I asked for the breed. Also the type of animal that your breeding. Negative bw epd are smaller bw and for the most part considered heifer safe. Depending on the breed and the bull even a 3 for bw isn't going to be a huge calf. It also depends on the breed and the management of the female. A bull is only part of the equation. Also look at the shape of the bulls. Are you breeding mature cows? Heifers? What breed of cows and bulls?

Corriedalesrock

We are breeding mature cows that are Angus , Gelbvieh,Sim& Char mix but we wanted to use a purebred Gelbvieh bull.... So a 3 would be how much of a bw? Thanks!

cowman 52

The idea is that bulls offspring would be on average 3 lbs bigger at birth  than the average of the breed.

A loose explanation but the general idea.