Weight Question.

Help Support Steer Planet:

LindseysMaine_Angus

So Romeo weighed in at a huge 660 pounds, my steer last year weighed in at 605 and final weight was 1300 Romeo needs to be around 1200 and 1250, we are going to cut Him back on grain and give him more hay, any other suggestions? I'm also going to be f
Walking him for longer distances he doesn't have a turnout yet

frostback

Not sure I would be cutting his feed back just because he was heavier than your last steer at this time. You dont know how this steer will gain yet. If he were mine I would continue to push him now and watch it closly. Can you weigh him monthly? If so I would pack on the pounds now and then on the other end pull him back if need be. He may go off feed later but if he is eating now keep it going. How many post have you seen on here needing a quick fix to being too light at the end?

ShowCalves2010

LindseysMaine_Angus said:
So Romeo weighed in at a huge 660 pounds, my steer last year weighed in at 605 and final weight was 1300 Romeo needs to be around 1200 and 1250, we are going to cut Him back on grain and give him more hay, any other suggestions? I'm also going to be f
Walking him for longer distances he doesn't have a turnout yet
If I understand your post correctly, your weigh in has already taken place.  If I were you, I wouldn't cut back at all.  In my case, I push my calves after weigh in and give them as much hay as they can eat at night.  I've never had a steer gain less than 3 pounds a day using this method.

vc

It is always easier to hold one then push one, holding near the end is a safer practice than holding them early. As mentioned above, to many things can happen during your project that can cause them to go off feed, the other thing is calves held early tend to have a taller, leaner look than calves that are fed from the beginning. Feed him and after he hits 1200 pounds you can look at where he is in relation to your show and adjust his feeding accordingly, Your calf may have been full this time when you weighed him and the last calf may have been empty, that could be 45 pounds. Really 55 pound difference is not that much at this point, feed him now and worry about holding him near the end.

Good luck

LindseysMaine_Angus

Thank you! I am not necessaraly 'pushing' him. I will try and weigh him monthly. I will really keep check in May.. He is sharing a pen at the moment with 2 other steers so when they leave he will probably back down on his eating, im giving him grass hay once a day. and he can eat all the straw he wants considering its his bedding. Thanks again.

LindseysMaine_Angus

General Lee said:
Do you have pictures of him? Just curious... ???
Not Recent this is about a month ago. Ill post some soon.. He has umm.. a hair issue at the moment so once I get rid of it, Ill update pics.

Attachments

• romeo1.jpg
    romeo1.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 149

obie105

Since your weigh in has taken place I would definently push now. You can always hold later at the end. I know our county fair also had a rate of gain contest also. They will also slow down on gaining when it gets warmer and if you haul them to any shows.

LindseysMaine_Angus

obie105 said:
Since your weigh in has taken place I would definently push now. You can always hold later at the end. I know our county fair also had a rate of gain contest also. They will also slow down on gaining when it gets warmer and if you haul them to any shows.
We have a 1st weigh in and a 2nd weigh in. 2nd weigh in goes for Market Class. Im not to worried about pushing, Ive never had to with my other steer or with my dairy feeders, and hes eating the same thing as my steer last year.

GoWyo

I have seldom seen any county fair calves that are too fat - maybe an angus or two, but almost never a cross bred.  Get him to 1250 by June 1, which means he has 600 lbs. to go, which is 3.33 lbs per day.  No reason to let up on the feed.

LindseysMaine_Angus

GoWyo said:
I have seldom seen any county fair calves that are too fat - maybe an angus or two, but almost never a cross bred.  Get him to 1250 by June 1, which means he has 600 lbs. to go, which is 3.33 lbs per day.  No reason to let up on the feed.

He is a Purebred Simmental. My steer last year was fat. lol. You think I can hold him for almost 2 months? What do you mean let up on feed?

GoWyo

GoWyo said:

He is a Purebred Simmental. My steer last year was fat. lol. You think I can hold him for almost 2 months? What do you mean let up on feed?

Your original post said you were going to reduce his grain and increase his hay.  I would not reduce his grain, but you could increase his hay.

LindseysMaine_Angus

GoWyo said:
GoWyo said:

Your original post said you were going to reduce his grain and increase his hay.  I would not reduce his grain, but you could increase his hay.

Oh yeah, we were told to increase his hay and cut buck his grain because the hay will make him full or something, but Ill probably keep his grain the same and + his hay

showsteerdlux

From the looks of the steer in the picture, he will need to be heavier than 1250 to be finished. I would think more in the mid 1300's.

IMHO, the worst thing you can do to a calf at this point in their maturity is to back off the grain as everyone is saying, but I really don't see the need to up his hay intake.

What is this calf eating right now as far as feed goes? How much is he getting? You say he is in a pen with 2 other steer. Are they all eating out of the same bunk? Are you sure your calf is getting his fair share?

I have 2 six weight calves on feed for an october fair right now that are eating around 20 pounds of feed per day a piece and they get one flake of grass hay each every day.

vc

I can tell you that every calf is different, you can use past experiences in feeding, weight gain, and finish weight as a gauge, but will need to adjust as you go. A calf at your calf's weight needs to be getting 3 percent of his weight in feed daily, once they hit 1200 to 1250 you can slow their weight gain down and hit your/their target weight at the right time. I prefer to have them at their target weight a few weeks prior to the the show, go past their target weight and pull them back for weigh in. Some calves look perfect at 1250 to 1300 others need 25 to 100 pounds more to look their best, (they can cross the scale at or near 1300 but can enter the ring weighing 1325 to 1375)
Holding or slowing a calf down the last month or 2 is easier than trying to get  100 to 150 pounds on one in the heat of the summer. Beet pulp, soy pellets and stabilized rice bran and a few pounds of oats a day, can keep one looking good but gaining slowly. I will bet most of your grand champions at the majors hit or passed their target weight at least a month prior to the show (if not 2 or 3 months earlier)

Push him now, cruise later.

carter o

Just cause a dairy feeder didnt need to be pushed doesnt mean he doesnt. I would push him and if you need to cut weight give him lasix (a race horse drug) he will pee out 80 pounds over night. Dont hold him back.