Weight Range at your fairs

Help Support Steer Planet:

vc

Our county has a 900 minimum and no max (it was 9-13 then went to 9-14 now 9-?) We have a feeder class for calves under 900. They use a ribbon system where Blues sell through the auction, everything else does not. It is up to the judge to determine if the animal is ready for slaughter or not, when I was showing along time ago the judges were far more selective then they are now. We could have blues, reds, whites, or even pinks back then, now they never get past reds.

Since they smaller breeds you mentioned are not the industry standard for size that is the risk you take when selecting them for the fair.

We always take the animals weight into consideration when selecting are calves, if they are not heavy enough to hit are Target range on a ADG of 2.5 we do not select them. So if we have 200 days to fair and are target is 1300 the calf needs to weigh around 800 pounds at the time of purchase Se we would look at calves no lighter than 700 and no larger than 900 depending on the calves type, knowing we are going to probably need to push the lighter or hold the bigger to have them where they need to be for fair.
Some calves will finish under and some over 1300 but at least we have them reaching their potential at the right time.

Calf selection, feed management,  and health are the 3 areas of importance for reaching the animals market potential, grooming and and working with the animal are the areas where the kids reach their potential. It takes all of theses areas coming together to have a successful project.

Feed the heck out of the calf you have this year and get him to weight, and try and select a calf next year that has the ability to reach market weight next year.

On a side note: if there are several people who show the smaller breeds in your area you might want to get with those breeders and see if they might get with the fair board and offer a premium for the smaller bred cattle. Our fair does it with the locally bred cattle ( bred and fed in the county), the champion gets a 500 dollar prize, the money is put up by the local breeders and the fair board.

CCW

Ours is 500+ with all calves making the premium sale. Reserve Grand steer at county one yr made the sale later at state fair, but only got $200 for reserve at county. Usually Grand brings $500 and Reserve $350. The next yr the biggest calf at county fair weighed 950. Grand weighed 750 because he was the only good one there. Grand and Reserve still brought the same so ever since people have made no effort to take a good calf or a fat calf. They all make the sale and they decided there wasn't any incentive to do good. Therefore we don't show steers. Everyone justs shows heifers and one yr we had 6 different breed winners at state fair from our county heifer show.

kvhranch

Earthmover said:
If you want to make your sons life hell for the rest of his show career go on and complain to the Fair Board, if its like ours those old boys have a long memory. Its just a fact of life.

That's actually something I have been worried about.

And thanks for all of the replies.  I very much agree these kids need to learn to produce a nice finished product - though I hate to see some of the junior first year kids get hurt by raising the lower limit.  And it didn't make sense to me to have different limits than state fair.  Last year they cut out ribbons except 1-3rd and there were lots of the younger kids really dissappointed because even though they may have placed 4th, 5th or 6th, they didn't feel like they had because of the ribbon.  Now this was mainly younger kids. So I saw this mainly as something else that the younger 4-her's might not understand and get. 

We learned a ton by the school of hard knocks last year.  And we are ahead of the game this year.  Last year we got our steer in February, this year first of December (and only cause they didn't get pulled off the mountain until the middle of November).  Last year our steer was about 750 at the Feb weighin.  This year, our main steer was about 800 when we got him, though the second one is only about 500.  Last year we only had 1 steer, this year 2.  Last year we continually had problems with keeping our steer on feed - hoping this year with the second steer and feeding the Sure Champ pellets that won't be an issue.  Last year we didn't start working on really leading until mid June - this year we are already working 3-4 days a week.

My son is excited about the year and he will take a finished steer to fair this year with luck - our steer last year needed 300 or 400 more pounds to finish.  But he was a smaller frame and even if he was finished, he wouldn't have made the new weight.  We are guessing with a Dec weight of 800lbs the big steer will finish in the 1300-1400 range and we may actually be bumping that top end.  And the little steer is a mellow hereford who we are planning on getting ready and showing, but are already planning on putting in our own freezer.

I love the idea of letting the judge decide if the the calves are finished enough to sell and getting rid of random numbers.  And I had over looked the fact that some of our buyers really do want the meat - though I think a lot here do the market buyback.

Blue25

Ya, our fairs weights start at 900 but there isn't an upper limit, because last year both my steers weighed in at 1500, the biggest in a long time.