weird question

Help Support Steer Planet:

rjb

I have a problem! I have 2 trees in my little lot behind my showbarn that are spitting out sap and now that sap is getting in the calves head and necks......so the question is how to get sap out of the hair? Soap just won work and takes a lot of work to even break it up. All advices needed......except cutting down the trees! Lol

Woody

How about one of those show pony blankets!  Just tell everyone you are tryin to keep the cool air in.  Make sure they are clean first or you might not get it back off. (clapping)

RidinHeifer

The horse blankets will work if you put together a neck wrap of sorts...neck sweat minus the sweat. I would try the numerous solutiomns for getting gum out of hair...like chocolate and what not. But keeping them away from the tree. Till it stops would be easier...if you haven't had the problem before, make sure they  don't have dry skin or something making them wanna itch on the tree

Gargan

if you have any old tires laying around (as most farmers do) or can get some from neighbors, cut it on one side so that u can slip it around the tree. do this all the way up tro about 5 feet or so, then they can rub the tires instead of the trees.

Dozer45

Maybe try a deer fence? it wraps aroudn the tree to keep deer from eating the bark.

rjb

Hocus pocus helped but didn't get it all out. Electric fence would work if these 2 weren't right in the middle of the lot. Sorry can't seeing putting horse blankets on! Lol Will looking into the tires and deer fence. Thanks again for the advise but still looking for something to get it out of their hair

iowabeef

Sounds very weird but try mayonaise.  It works on gum in hair.  It may take a couple tries...

CANsteer

Why don't you just put 3 or 4 posts in a triangle or square about a foot or two away from the tree. then put some 2x6's on the posts. Then they can't touch it.

Moezmom

This is another odd suggestion, but try hand sanitizer.  My daughter took it to camp with her specifically to remove sap.  My sister in law read somewhere on line to try it and it worked like a charm!  (Think it's the alcohol in it that does the trick.)