Welcome to the Big 10 Nebraska

Help Support Steer Planet:

Davis Shorthorns

ok, first off I am sorry to the big 10 people on here, but REALLY???  Wisconson is FOR REAL!!! Period.  I think they could win it all if the rankings work in their favor.  After that you have MSU who is a very very good team then Michigan who is pretty good, then???  SEC is no.1 then you have the big 12.  OU, UT, A&M, OSU, KSU, BU, Missouri is a top 25 team just lost to OU and Arizona St. TTU is still undefeted, ISU is a ok team then we have KU who well just sucks.  After the big 10's top 3 who do you have that can compete with anyone else's middle teams?  Nebraska?  Illinois?... who?  Purdont or Indiana?  doubt it.  Now that is this year.  I still hope all the big 10 teams KILL Nebraska.  But I dont think it will happen.  to bad.  Anyways OU will go to the NC and CHOKE again I just hope it is against Wisconson.  I thinkt the SEC will just beat itself up this year.  NOW

ATTACK!!!!

oakview

In my lifetime, since 1954, the SEC has won 19 national championships, the Big 12 has won 16, the Big 10 has won 11, and the Pac 10 has won 8.  Others, including independents, ACC, Big East, SW, etc., have won a total of 19 national championships.  In many years there were co-champions.  In the what have you done for me lately department, the Big Ten has won 2 national championships since 1968, the end of the Woody Hayes era.  The SEC has won the last 5.  Notre Dame has been a non-factor.  If it was up to me, I'd totally get rid of the conferences, since they mean so little today anyway, set up 4 regions, and send the top two teams from each to the playoffs.  Each region would be responsible for selecting their two representatives according to NCAA guidelines.  Let the debate begin (continue).

PaPigMan

As a Big 10 fan and Penn State graduate, I welcome Nebraska to the Big 10.  Their addition adds another level of competition to the conference.  I whole heartily believe that the SEC is clearly the toughest conference in the nation right now.  That said, I personally believe that you have to look at more than bowl performance to rank one conference over the other.  I think that Wisconsin is a true contender this year.  They are a pretty solid team on both sides of the ball.  They manhandled a Nebraska team that has been in the Big 12 mix the last couple of years.  After Wisconsin, you still have Nebraska, Michigan State, and Michigan.  Until the turmoil this year, Ohio State has been a contender on the national level for the last decade.  Penn State has not won a big game for a while, but, I would not consider a team with 59 wins in the last six years a slouch.  I'm not sure what kind of team Iowa is yet this year, but they always play tough and are a handful for any bowl competitor.  Really Davis Shorthorns?  When was the last time Baylor, A & M, Kansas State, or Oklahoma State were mentioned in the same breath as national champion?  Missouri already has 2 losses.  They also have never been a real contender.  I'm not saying we're better than you, just don't look down your nose at the Big 10 based on bowl records alone. Many of the top tier teams in other leagues would still have their hands full if they faced a Big 10 conference schedule.  Here are some additional numbers to take a look at:

Texas 50%
Oklahoma 46%
Oklahoma State 62% and just for comparison purposes:

Alabama 55%
LSU 54%

Those numbers represent the most recent graduation rates of football players with regards to each respective school.  Graduating is defined as earning a degree in six years or less.

comercialfarmer

PaPigMan said:
Here are some additional numbers to take a look at:

Texas 50%
Oklahoma 46%
Oklahoma State 62% and just for comparison purposes:

Alabama 55%
LSU 54%

Those numbers represent the most recent graduation rates of football players with regards to each respective school.  Graduating is defined as earning a degree in six years or less.

I don't think Cam Newton, Dez Bryant, Sam Bradford, or Colt McCoy are missing their diplomas yet.  :)

PaPigMan

Dexter Manley (Oklahoma State) probably wasn't missing his diploma at that point in his career either.

oakview

I really hope Clarett, Schlichter, etc. did get degrees.  If Clarett did get one, which I highly doubt, I'm sure it wasn't worth the paper it was printed on.  Maybe the Minnesota basketball players under Haskins can turn their diplomas into highly paid professional jobs, too.  You can find the student/athlete sham in each and every conference.  Does the name Reggie Bush ring a bell?  I love college basketball and football, but realistically, there is absolutely no correlation between having a good athletic program and the central mission of a university or college.  The last study I saw came to the conclusion that there was no true relationship between academic donations and the success of the athletic program.  Rich donors pay for the thrill of a good sports team.  The medical/law schools generally have more wealthy donors than the ag/engineer schools.  The schools that pay the most to their players usually have the better teams until they get caught.  They normally get caught several years after the trophies are placed in the trophy case and the players are getting a legitimate check from the pros.  That's a fact of life in college sports.

aj

I think Polenies days are numbered at Nebraska......although I do enjoy the decline of the program.

aj

I will admitt that Bolenie is a good wife beateater. He would be a great weight lifting coach. He has been a great position coach. He has been a good defensive coach except when Snyder ran ran 50 points up agaisnt him and Wisconsin put up 50 against the genius. What would be funny if doc Osborne would send him to be head coach at Ohio State. Now that would be a dirty trick.

iowabeef

Looks like another tough welcome tonight for Nebraska by a so-so OSU team....game not over but ....

hangonsloopy

(clapping)    O.....H.....I.....O

AJ just wait until Pelini is the D-coordinator at tOSU with Urban Meyer as head coach, UNSTOPABLE.

Seriously though Nebraska, this is the worst Ohio State team in a LONG time,  better get your stuff together.

hangonsloopy

WOW I am speachless right now.  Joe Bauserman is absolutly the worst QB in DI-A.  I AM SICK.