Westfall Voyager V.S. BRM Explorer

Help Support Steer Planet:

Simmgal

I'm sorry if this has already been answered in an earlier thread, but which one of the two would you say has the "best" calves? I know it varies from cow to cow and calf to calf, but which bull has thrown the most attrative and show worthy calves? I have to pick between the two when I order semen in a few months. Would any of you suggest breeding the heifer in my picture to Voyager? If not, who would be a good PB Simmi? Thank you in advance for your help! Any pictures would be greatly appreciated too!  (cow)

LN

I have 15 Explorer's due in September, I'll post when I get a good grip on how they're developing.

ALTSIMMY 79

Voyager ! Explorers just dont have the grow to them it seems , im not by any means an expert though ! Ive got a baldy bull calf out of explorer and a real high growth black perfector daughter and im not impressed one bit ! This was the calf that made up my mind . Had a few heifer calves last year that werent a whole lot more impressive either.

Simmgal

Thanks! This is surprising to me because I have heard of some of his calves doing pretty well! Thanks for letting me know!  ;)

GRANDV

I love the explorer cattle. But they can be vary alert. Hard on the halter.

Simmgal

GRANDV said:
I love the explorer cattle. But they can be vary alert. Hard on the halter.
I have heard that the Voyager cattle are the same way! Hahaha and I have also heard that Explorers are calm! I guess it just depends! We already have some attitude problems, and don't need any more! Thanks for sharing! I still like Explorer, but this isn't the first time that I have heard his calves have bad attitudes.  :-\

WKYIronMike

I really like both bulls, but if I was choosing between them I'll probably go with Explorer. I think his calves are a little longer and neater designed but I like Voyager's eye appeal that he gives also. Neither bull will be a bad choice.

Simmgal

Thanks for your imput! I like both of them, and both of their calves seem to be getting mixed reviews.. ;)

Well, as it stands now, my semen order list is: In Dew Time, Added Value, Fortunate Son, Hard Core, Domination, Shear Force, Lucky Man, American Pride, Mr. Beef (want to try some older genetics on a good bull making cow that I have), and either Voyager or Explorer (and maybe both!). Any big red flags? If anyone has pictures, they are welcome too! I really appreciate all of the feedback, and I really like opinions from everyone on SP because you guys seem to know your stuff! Hahah  :) I have really tried to do my homework on these bulls, and have eliminated many that I liked until I came up with this list...(limited budget...) I already have Grandmaster, Fat Butt, Trademark, Built Right and Dominique in the tank now.

Jenny

this is the third year I have AIed to Premium Blend; last year he sired for us the bull calf champ at the SD state fair and that was out of a Black Joker daughter.  His calves seem consistantly good.
had some good calves this year out of Rock Solid.

Used Sweet Meat this year for the first time and also for a new bull I have tried Montecito, a Steel Force son.

Have seen some really thick, commercially good Top Gun calves so tried him this year for the first time also.

Simmgal

Jenny said:
this is the third year I have AIed to Premium Blend; last year he sired for us the bull calf champ at the SD state fair and that was out of a Black Joker daughter.  His calves seem consistantly good.
had some good calves this year out of Rock Solid.

Used Sweet Meat this year for the first time and also for a new bull I have tried Montecito, a Steel Force son.

Have seen some really thick, commercially good Top Gun calves so tried him this year for the first time also.

I was curious about Sweet Meat, Premium Blend, and Top Gun. I have also been considering some Steel Force sons too! I love Top Gun and his sire, but the reds don't sell to good around here, even if they do look better than some blacks! I am interested in Rock Solid...he looks pretty good, and I have heard good things there too! Congrats on Calf Champion!  (clapping)

LN

Speaking of Sweet Meat...check out this heifer I just had pictured sired by him. She's 9 months in the pic and is 3/4 Simmental 1/4 Brahman. This is the best Simbrah female that I've raised.

Attachments

• X037.jpg
    X037.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 193

Simmgal

WOW! Is it just me, or is she failry clean fronted for having Brahman AND Simmental in her? She looks pretty darn great!  (thumbsup) <rock>

Simmgal

So, does Sweet Meat clean up the fronts? He looks fairly clean himself, and some daughters do too..I just don't know if he breeds like the cow, or throws 'em clean! Thanks!

LN

I just sampled him last year but I think he added a little waste on the neck. But he was bred to Simbrah cows so I don't know if that's a good measure. I have some coming by SimAngus cows in Sept so I'll know more then.

nmcattle

Personally I have been very pleased with my Sweet Meat calves. I have used him heavy the past two years and both years my best calves have been Sweet Meat's. I have used him on a variety of calves and they are quite consistent and no throw aways. I do think they are a little more maternal than show cattle. They can be a little coarser fronted but it depends on the cow. I have had a few that are plenty fancy and clean fronted out of sleek made cows. He certainly makes them stout with plenty of body. Back to the Explorer vs. Voyager question, I have not used Voyager but have my first crop of Explorer's on the ground. I'm pleasantly surprised with them. I wasn't real sure what to expect so I sampled him on some heifers for calving ease and a couple larger framed old fashioned cows to downsize them. I expected him to downsize and clean up some fronts but was concerned with growth epds and wasn't sure if they would be stout enough. So far they seem to be growing well and a visitor couldn't believe how much bone they had being from Explorer. Overall they aren't world burners but I'm pleased with my results. I wouldn't be afraid to use him again and he could be quite valuable on the right cows.

Simmgal

LN said:
I just sampled him last year but I think he added a little waste on the neck. But he was bred to Simbrah cows so I don't know if that's a good measure. I have some coming by SimAngus cows in Sept so I'll know more then.
Okay! I'd like to see pictures when they are born! Thank you so much for your input, and thank you to everyone else as well! I am interested in Sweet Meat, and I will consider using him!

cndcattle

If you are looking at using Top Gun, watch out for the fertility in these cattle, especially testicle size on the bulls. He has been used heavy in Canada and this seems to be a common theme. Really good cattle though.

As for Explorer, we have only 1 heifer out of him. She is super quiet and definitely does not have any growth issues. She is off of a 2yr old and is coming along really good. She is a February heifer out of Steel Force daughter.

Explorer Heifer

Attachments

• 262083_10150298423029919_508764918_9169219_3953740_n[1].jpg
    262083_10150298423029919_508764918_9169219_3953740_n[1].jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 182

LN

cndcattle said:
If you are looking at using Top Gun, watch out for the fertility in these cattle, especially testicle size on the bulls. He has been used heavy in Canada and this seems to be a common theme. Really good cattle though.

As for Explorer, we have only 1 heifer out of him. She is super quiet and definitely does not have any growth issues. She is off of a 2yr old and is coming along really good. She is a February heifer out of Steel Force daughter.

Explorer Heifer

Very nice heifer! I will be more than happy with mine if that's what I can expect.

Simmgal

cndcattle said:

Explorer Heifer
Yes! Very good heifer! What type of cow was she out of? (breed/ looks)