What a Year

Help Support Steer Planet:

johnwayne

<cowboy> What a difference a year makes.  San Antonio Did it right this year.  I have absolutely nothing to complain about the steer show in San Antonio!!!! You could tell from the first calf pulled to the last calf pulled what he was going to use and why. What can I say but thank you San Antonio and Thank you Dr. Scott Schaake for the great job you did. Congrats to all the winners in the Steer show

DCC show cattle

the judging took forever! Talking about people still showing around midnight and some of the ring presence of the judge was questionable to me (comments and such to exhibitors)

chambero

What do you expect when you get an old hippie for a judge?  Honestly, he didn't bother me that much last year.  Schaake has judged slick shows plenty before and that makes a huge difference.  It's always a shock to a judge's system the first time he has to actually judge one, even if he has been around them some.

If Schaake truly had no idea what that calf was that he used for Grand beforehand (at least before picking it for Champon Charolais), it is amazing that he picked two full brothers for Grand overalls three years apart.

DCC show cattle

chambero i agree with you on the second part not going to call mcclintok a hippie just out of respect but definately a different character than most judges

chambero

DCC show cattle said:
chambero i agree with you on the second part not going to call mcclintok a hippie just out of respect but definately a different character than most judges

I figure he'd consider the word "hippie" a term of endearment, not a disparaging remark.  It wasn't meant that way anyway.  I was fairly well entertained by his willingness to not use "standard reasons" - kind of surprised me when folks were hacked last year.

DCC show cattle

haha not taken the wrong way but I agree some of the reasons were comical and extremely correct to the class but I disagreed with him stating that some of the cattle were too "good" to use in the class almost like he was classifying the breeds himself as he did a few times in some of the american breeds and red angus if I remember correctly

chambero

DCC show cattle said:
but I disagreed with him stating that some of the cattle were too "good" to use in the class almost like he was classifying the breeds himself as he did a few times in some of the american breeds and red angus if I remember correctly

I didn't hear him make those comments.  I heard him refer to one (don't remember the breed) as "This is just a good SOB" or something to that effect.  How many times have those words been said in a pasture or a barn - way more often than some of the goofy reasons I hear nowadays - especially by wannabe judges at prospect shows.  Too many words used now are just silly and don't even exist in a dictionary.

DCC show cattle

Mark McClintok and most the remarks weren't made over the mic but to the child directly in the ring I may only be 19 but when I'm working with younger individuals I refrain from curse words and i know for certain he used some to very young exhibitors about their cattle in a positive way but definately not professional in my opinion but it was also his show and he might view certain aspects differently as some of us do so I'll agree to disagree  ;D

TXSimmy

DCC show cattle said:
Mark McClintok and most the remarks weren't made over the mic but to the child directly in the ring I may only be 19 but when I'm working with younger individuals I refrain from curse words and i know for certain he used some to very young exhibitors about their cattle in a positive way but definately not professional in my opinion but it was also his show and he might view certain aspects differently as some of us do so I'll agree to disagree   ;D

ok......he will be judging santa gertrudis at Houston this year so we'll so how it goes lol

johnwayne

Look I said my piece last year, maybe a bit heavy on the negative side. Well extremely heavy.  McClintock did get to a good one in the end. I just did not understand how he got there. was often Lost and reason are given in a certain format for a purpose.  And for the record he did use some unconventional terms and language on the mic.