what blade should I use?

Help Support Steer Planet:

Maine rules

I'm wondering which blade I should use to clip my heifers necks, and about how long the hair should be?

herefordfootball

stangs13 said:
We use our blocking blades!

We use our super blocking blades also, but if you're an ameteur, or in a hurry the 5/8 or #4 blade is the way to go, then go back over it with the super blocking blades and clean up whats needed.  <cowboy>

jallen

ai er said:
Medium blending blade.

That's what I use depending on the calf if its really thick necked or dont have any hair any ways I will take the clippers i used on the head and go with the hair not against and clean them up. you have to be carefull and also will still need to use the blending blades at the end but takes less time and get the same results.

coachmac

I vary on blades.  Depends on what the calf needs done and the time of year I am clipping. Have used various but lean on the med blending this time of year along with a 7f and set of blocking.  If we were cool room people I would use a 5/8 and then blend in the head to neck and the neck to shoulders.  Unfortunately, that combination for us only works with the shows prior to March.  I would say take an animal you ARE NOT showing and practice.  Even if it is in the squeeze chute.  It will help you know which blade does what and if you can make them work for you. 

Cardinal_Crest_Shorthorns

coachmac said:
  I would say take an animal you ARE NOT showing and practice.  Even if it is in the squeeze chute.  It will help you know which blade does what and if you can make them work for you. 
Great advice, the only way to learn how to clip is to mess some up first

Latest posts