What Breed Makes the best Beef?

Help Support Steer Planet:

knabe

Freerider said:
irh said:
Maine Anjou, I've worked in two butcher shops the most tenderist and red meat going.  Matter of fact we our having beef manhattens tonight. um! um!

Its true, its Maine Anjou

i've been eating some of my purebred maine beef for about 4 years now.  i age it 3 weeks, and though it's not the most marbled, it's more than adequately marbled and very tender, moist.  i can't really think of anything i've enjoyed more.  waygu and akashi are just too fat anymore for me and taste like butter or lard instead of meat.

Hoosier

Honestly some of the best beef i've eaten has been from a holstein.

But i think the key to good beef that too many people don't understand is that regardless of breed, color, or anything else is feeding one long enough to get em fat! Flavor comes from fat and cattle that haven't been fed long enough just plain don't produce good tasting beef. I'm willing to trim a little fat off a steak to have a tasty piece of meat!

FarmerWanna-Be

Im another vote for Miane Anjou. I ate Angus for a long time but when I had my first Maine meat, I was just like wow thats awesome.

Dyer Show cattle

I like pretty much all of them that are still a little red on my plate. I have raised and eaten quite a few of mine and liked them all, and if you blindfolded me and put down a herford, angus, and simm steak out of my own cattle I dont think I could tell you which is which. I think the feedlot they come out of has more to do with the taste and the breed. Because I just bought some beef for the first time in 5 years and I could tell a difference there but I think it was the difference in the feedlot, butcher, and aging. Because I cant tell you what breed my grocery store beef tastes like. Just know it tastes a little differnt than the beef I have raised. Angus breeders I think have been so good at marketing angus beef they have about brainwashed the general comsumer that angus is some kind of premium beef compaired to others. I know I like my simm, charl, and herf beef just as good as my own angus beef.

Aussie

Hoosier said:
Honestly some of the best beef i've eaten has been from a holstein.

But i think the key to good beef that too many people don't understand is that regardless of breed, color, or anything else is feeding one long enough to get em fat! Flavor comes from fat and cattle that haven't been fed long enough just plain don't produce good tasting beef. I'm willing to trim a little fat off a steak to have a tasty piece of meat!
I agree. I have Jersey many times and is very nice. Very fine grained meat only problem is the fat is yellow but that is only cosmetic. Fat home grown what ever the breed wins.

texas111

IMO corriente cattle are the best tasting.  They are small but tasty if fed correctly.  I know its hard to believe but thats my opinion.  I have compared it to continental, brittish and american breeds.  They were all fed the same ration.  IMO brangus is a close second.

ploughshare

Let face it, tenderness is the number one sensory factor for determining consumer satisfaction in beef cuts.  Hanging 30 days should be mandatory, however unpractical and expensive.  I raise Angus and they eat just fine, but my first choice would be a 800 lbs Jersey steer hung 30 days. 

Lakeshore Show Cattle

Pinzgauer, its lean enough for most consumers, but finishes well for us producers. I dont like tons of fat on my meat but give me a Pinz ribeye and I am one happy girl  :)
The marbing is right, the tenderness is undebatable and flavor says it all

SHAGGY

So not to change it up too much but since we have got some good answers, what do you think is the best way to feed one and on what for optimal meat goodness, yum. lol

Aussie

SHAGGY said:
So not to change it up too much but since we have got some good answers, what do you think is the best way to feed one and on what for optimal meat goodness, yum. lol
Rye Grass and clover here from the day they are born till the day they go.

BadgerFan

I've got about 15 acres of Sucra seed I interseeded (no till) into grass pastures.  I'll be going over it again with red clover this spring.  I don't think I'd waste the money on it again.  Yield isn't much.  Maybe in a direct seeding, but wouldn't do it again interseeded.

knabe

BadgerFan said:
I've got about 15 acres of Sucra seed I interseeded (no till) into grass pastures.  I'll be going over it again with red clover this spring.  I don't think I'd waste the money on it again.  Yield isn't much.  Maybe in a direct seeding, but wouldn't do it again interseeded.

i did the same, but what it replaced was annual grasses so yield was better, though relative.  seems to tiller ok.  like any of these grasses, it benefits from being allowed to go to seed to keep the seed bank up.  it is greener than the other grass i have and as i have too much clover right now, it seems to do well.  price is obviously too high.

BadgerFan

knabe said:
BadgerFan said:

i did the same, but what it replaced was annual grasses so yield was better, though relative.  seems to tiller ok.  like any of these grasses, it benefits from being allowed to go to seed to keep the seed bank up.  it is greener than the other grass i have and as i have too much clover right now, it seems to do well.  price is obviously too high.

I let it seed out last summer so we'll see what it does this year.  I'm still going to put some clover in there though.  My ground does well with a higher legume content.