what bull to use???or bulls???

Help Support Steer Planet:

CM Livestock

was looking for some opinions on what bulls to use on angus and simm angus cows to produce show steers...want alot of thickness and bone as well as smooth made and attractive

T-Majic

I don't have too many cows but have the same breed as you and I have had good luck with sunseeker producing nice calves and ecspecially his heifers. I have a Carnac that I kept out of my best cow which is angus with a little simmi as a bull and I love him. I am thinking about collecting him next year once I see his calves. He has the best dispotition I have ever had. I am out of showing due to age and work but the bull has never been on a halter and I can brush him out in the pasture. I can't wait to see his calves.  This year I used Sunseeker again cause I have never had any problems at all with calving (knock on wood) and I also used Walks Alone and Fat Butt on my cows.

wyatt

if you wana think outside the box i would use troubador or alias chopin wood is a troubador hes thick a freind of mine seen him right before he was sold he is thick with tons of bone ... i would also consider naughty pine or eye candy jmo

kjd farms

On our Angus cross and purebred Angus cows, we have used both Monopoly and Eye Candy with success for 2 years now.  We used both of them for breeding this year and added Boardwalk and Mercedes Benz to the mix.  Who Made Who made some nice calves for us as well on our Angus/Angus cross cows as well.  I'm not much help on the Simmental side, we don't have anything with Simmental in it.

DCC show cattle

alias on sure enough sound footed angus cattle for sure if your wanting slick shear calves for down south, walks alone has done really well for us this past year, if your looking for females then who made who or dr. who is your best bet in my opinion

LostFarmer

furinsilex said:
walks alone should work good. monopoly is consistent. sunseeker would sure power them up but lots of cripples

I hear this all the time but the dozen sunseekers that I saw last weekend were anything but cripples.  Those calves moved with ease.  I think on non clubby females he will make a good one.  From what I saw he works best on a good legged commercial cow. 

Dyer Show cattle

Sunseekers are the most consistant at my place, all out of sim/angus cows. Had 30 plus sunseekers between myself and somone I breed for over the years, not 1 cripple and not one bad calf out of all of them. Plus every single one of them has had the best temperment of any cattle I have ever worked with. Just had 2 feeders at the fair that are One and onlys out of Sunseeker 2nd calvers that my 7yr old neice and 8yr old nephew showed and they have been leading them around after day 3 of being tied up and weaned.

BovineGirl

Peer Pressure, he's thrown out baldys and low birthweights (70-90 lbs) he's also got simmi in him, hes very attractive and his calves are nice, had a very nice calf crop this year with him.

Woody

sunseeker.  He will make them thick hairy and attractive and keep the fleshing ability.  Ive had good luck with the females out of him also. 

wyatt

BovineGirl said:
Peer Pressure, he's thrown out baldys and low birthweights (70-90 lbs) he's also got simmi in him, hes very attractive and his calves are nice, had a very nice calf crop this year with him.
i wouldn't call 90 lbs low bw 65-75 is low here 76-85 average anything 90 and above is high for our herd bulls that includes a star power daines icon bull an ali daines icon bull and a hulk out of a Pb Maine the Angus bull(lonetree) is about 70lbs

furinsilex

I know some people love there sunseekers but he has been the most inconsistent bull we have ever used.  Our cows are either pbangus or simangus.  And we got a variety of types colors and sizes.  The magority of them were straight on their rear wheels.  Had one monky jaw, and all were courser made. none had a soft pattern

mark tenenbaum

I like Char-Shorthorn-Chi-Maine crossed up:eek:n Angus-Simmi X females. The Chars mentioned are good,I added a couple etc.- I also like em clean,but carrier looking,or should have been.And maybe sons of heavily used known carrier  bulls. Here goes:Sahara,YOUNG MONEY,YOUNG MONEY, And Did I mention YOUNG MONEY???-Amen,Red Bull(clean one) Tiger Woods,Avatar,Mecedes Benz, DMCC BODY BUILDER,Free For All,Gucci,Capt Morgan,Uncle Cracker,Chore Boy (to moderate em alot),Chasin Tail(if its true hes double kleen)Grizzly,MB Steer Maker,Tyson,FSF Hardline,Top Cat,Jakes Unbiased-and plethora of others-who I cant remember:eek:h -Young Money O0 O0

BovineGirl

wyatt said:
BovineGirl said:
i wouldn't call 90 lbs low bw 65-75 is low here 76-85 average anything 90 and above is high for our herd bulls that includes a star power daines icon bull an ali daines icon bull and a hulk out of a Pb Maine the Angus bull(lonetree) is about 70lbs
we have had 120lbs before so that to us in low, and yes hes had 65 pounders and they are turning out great!

Latest posts