What bull would you use?

Help Support Steer Planet:

Doc

Based off some responses off another thread , what bull would you use on this cow? Interested in clubby & Shorty bulls. I have sold a flush on her for this fall & he is going to flush her to WMW. Prefer clean bulls, but with that being said would Vegas work on her?

Attachments

• cows 9-12-11 009.JPG
    cows 9-12-11 009.JPG
    202.9 KB · Views: 281

OKshorthorn

What about Free Bird? I have seen some calves out of him that are really impressive. The Grand heifer in the open and junior shows at Oklahoma City was a Free Bird. That being said, I haven't ever had a calf out of Free Bird. I am also a big fan of Fringe and Get Serious. To me, Fringe will add a little more rib and depth of body, but the Get Serious calves have sure been flashy. Really good from the profile standpoint. It may be the cows, but it seems that the Get Serious calves started out a little slow, and they really came on at about 3 months. 

Bryan

what about Thriller? i havent seen a calf out of him that i didnt like and i have seen quite a few in my area. i bred to him this year and will have calves in the spring sired by him.

J

JTM

Doc, nice cow. What is her breeding? You looking for club calves out of this breeding?

Doc

JTM said:
Doc, nice cow. What is her breeding? You looking for club calves out of this breeding?

Thanks. She's a Calberta Black Impact dtr out of a Shorthorn x Amerifax cross cow. Yea, club calves & maybe Shorthorn plus .

OH Breeder

Doc if you are shooting for club calf why not use heat wave or a clone. Those would be highly marketable. I would use Vegas as well for terminal cross. I am a BIG fan of Calberta Black impact. I think he is under rated. Double Vision and Stuff would also give you some excellent shorthorn clubbies for terminal cross. She has ALOT of potential for clubbies.

mark tenenbaum

Young Money,Steermaker,Tequila,Jakes new blueroan,JF Perfect Image,Wymore,Free For All,Nothings Free,JMJoe Davinci,KA BA Leader 46,EITHER OF VOGELS YOUNG SIRES -(sires of thier 2 hiefers winning this year), Tiger woods,Avatar, HAA Wisdom,Life Line(breeding size)Gucci,One And Only,Wave Goodby,Amen,Yardly Fortune, Eye Opener,ATM,All Aboord,Long Time Coming,Uncle Cracker,Capt Morgan,Top Cat,Chasin Tail,Chore Boy,and a bunch of others I just cant remember O0

AAOK

DOC, Not answering your question, but I know what I would do if she was my cow;  FR Magic 179X or Meyer 734.  BTW, I've never seen an Impact calf/cow with that kind of depth or thickness.

We used rainmaker from lautner Hes THC. but hes a little bit of both clubby and shorty. He gave us around low 80s high 70s Bw and i have never had with this much and gainweight like these. The heifers are killerbut our tiger woods steer are a bit nice then Rain maker steers.

Doc

Doc said:
JTM said:

Thanks. She's a Calberta Black Impact dtr out of a Shorthorn x Beef Friesen cross cow. Yea, club calves & maybe Shorthorn plus .

I pulled the catalog on the sale that I bought this cow out of. She is by Black Impact out of a cow sired by a Shortie bull named Wernacres DF Silver Slam ( a Grand Slam son out of a Payoff x Duchess G cow, that's where that good momma comes from) & a Amerifax cow ( not a straight Beef Friesian cow). She was born 3/05/01 & I gave $575 for her ( she's paid for herself). She had a bred maternal sister by Payback in the sale that brought $1400 , which was as much as the top purebreds brought.

J

JTM

Doc said:
Doc said:
JTM said:

Thanks. She's a Calberta Black Impact dtr out of a Shorthorn x Beef Friesen cross cow. Yea, club calves & maybe Shorthorn plus .

I pulled the catalog on the sale that I bought this cow out of. She is by Black Impact out of a cow sired by a Shortie bull named Wernacres DF Silver Slam ( a Grand Slam son out of a Payoff x Duchess G cow, that's where that good momma comes from) & a Amerifax cow ( not a straight Beef Friesian cow). She was born 3/05/01 & I gave $575 for her ( she's paid for herself). She had a bred maternal sister by Payback in the sale that brought $1400 , which was as much as the top purebreds brought.
We have had good success crossing Maine genetics with ALM Chiller. I like the Vegas idea but TH. I also think that Moose would be very interesting on that cow.