What class do you show your Shorthorn Plus in? AOB, Shorthorn, or cross

Help Support Steer Planet:

Robbie

I am interested in what classes you show your shorthorn plus calf in at fairs or other shows. My sister has a shorthorn plus heifer and our county has placed her as a crossbred heifer. Just curious to what you guys do.
Thanks

kfacres

around here, if they look like a purebred in color-- you show purebred-- if they are blue or black-- they go cross if not plus class is available. 

most of the time, you can choose on the shorthorn colored deals--- you can go either way--- or even maine if they've got enough of that blood in them.

mick rems

our fair everything is together, no matter what breed it is.  but for other shows, if there is enough of a breed they get their breed class, if not they go in aob. the only breeds i've ever seen mixed high percent and low percent is the maines and mainetainers, those get mixed. otherwise appendix shorty goes with appendix shorties or AOB.

mick rems

mick rems said:
our fair everything is together, no matter what breed it is.  but for other shows, if there is enough of a breed they get their breed class, if not they go in aob. the only breeds i've ever seen mixed high percent and low percent is the maines and mainetainers, those get mixed. otherwise appendix shorty goes with appendix shorties or AOB.
whoops. as long as they are registered and properly tattooed with the registration papers. otherwise they go in crossbred.

sue

Robbie said:
I am interested in what classes you show your shorthorn plus calf in at fairs or other shows. My sister has a shorthorn plus heifer and our county has placed her as a crossbred heifer. Just curious to what you guys do.
Thanks
Robbie
It depends on the show? At a national level papered and a minimum of 50% Shorthorn will show in the shorthorn plus classes. Michigan for instance at the major jr open shows has a Shorthorn plus class, because the breeders voted to represent. So to answer your question : if this is a local or state show contact the state breed association. Good luck with your shorthorn influence !

mick rems

Robbie
It depends on the show? At a national level papered and a minimum of 50% Shorthorn will show in the shorthorn plus classes. Michigan for instance at the major jr open shows has a Shorthorn plus class, because the breeders voted to represent. So to answer your question : if this is a local or state show contact the state breed association. Good luck with your shorthorn influence !
[/quote]

its actually 25% because you can register appendix shorty at 25% or more, same with mainetainer, and chi i believe they upped the percent to 6 or 8%. i think foundation sim is also 25% and low percent charolais is 25%.

kfacres

mick rems said:
Robbie

its actually 25% because you can register appendix shorty at 25% or more, same with mainetainer, and chi i believe they upped the percent to 6 or 8%. i think foundation sim is also 25% and low percent charolais is 25%.
[/quote]

you can register, but I'm pretty sure you can only show 50% or higher at national shows. 

mick rems

maines you can show ik that for a fact cus my heifer is 25% maine and i had her at jr nat so is my steer he was also at jr nat for the maines. and im pretty sure shorties you can still so cus most app are 25% to 50%

dsmith16

mick rems said:
maines you can show ik that for a fact cus my heifer is 25% maine and i had her at jr nat so is my steer he was also at jr nat for the maines. and im pretty sure shorties you can still so cus most app are 25% to 50%

Shorthorn Plus calves have to be 50% shorthorn to show in major shows, but only 25% to register them as Shorthorn Plus.

Right from the ASA website...

http://shorthorn.org/Images/registration/rules/Rules%20%20Regs%20Aug15%202011_.pdf

Eligibility for Shows: ShorthornPlus and Durham Red animals are only eligible to show at designated ShorthornPlus shows and are not eligible for PACE points. Starting with the 2010/2011 show season, ShorthornPlus and Durham Red animals are only eligible to show at designated ShorthornPlus shows and are not eligible for PACE points. All ShorthornPlus animals must be 50% Shorthorn blood concentration or higher (7/16 if dam or sire is purebred 15/16) to be eligible for ShorthornPlus shows.

Eligibility: Initial entries into the ShorthornPlus Registry Program shall receive the prefix AR prior to registration number. This prefix shall be assigned to all cattle of the following percentages: 1/4, 5/16, 3/8, 7/16, 1/2, 9/16, 5/8, 11/16, 3/4, 13/16, and 7/8, except that cattle with black markings or coat color cannot exceed the 1/2 percentage designation.

kfacres

mick rems said:
correct on the maines.. pretty sure the new rule for Chi- is min of 6.25%..  Sim deal i think is min 25%.. Shorthorn is 50% as stated directly above me on a copyed post that I could not find fast enough. 

twistedhshowstock

Like everyone said, it depends on where you show and what their rules are.  If your show has an AOB class then I think that is where she would end up.  I have seen very few shows that would let her show with the Shorties.  Most shows still require heifers to be 100% Short to go in the Shorthorn class.  At the same time, other than PACE shows and other Nationals shows, most places do not have a Shorthorn Plus class unless the local Shorthorn association has gotten behind it and sponsored it.
Here in TX we dont have a crossbred class, so heifers have to have papers to show.  As for now here in TX all of the composite papered heifers go in the AOB.  That includes, Chi, Mainetainer, Shorthorn Plus, Foundation Simmi, LimFlex, etc etc.  If your show has both an AOB and a Crossbred class then I wouldnt see why anything with papers would end up in Crossbred.  Like I said if they have papers then I would think they would go AOB

J

JTM

twistedhshowstock said:
Like everyone said, it depends on where you show and what their rules are.  If your show has an AOB class then I think that is where she would end up.  I have seen very few shows that would let her show with the Shorties.  Most shows still require heifers to be 100% Short to go in the Shorthorn class.  At the same time, other than PACE shows and other Nationals shows, most places do not have a Shorthorn Plus class unless the local Shorthorn association has gotten behind it and sponsored it.
Here in TX we dont have a crossbred class, so heifers have to have papers to show.  As for now here in TX all of the composite papered heifers go in the AOB.  That includes, Chi, Mainetainer, Shorthorn Plus, Foundation Simmi, LimFlex, etc etc.  If your show has both an AOB and a Crossbred class then I wouldnt see why anything with papers would end up in Crossbred.  Like I said if they have papers then I would think they would go AOB
That is interesting that you don't have crossbred classes in Texas TSS.
In the past we have shown some of our shorthorn plus heifers in the AOB classes even though we have a crossbred class also. Our county fair is one of the most competitive in Ohio. We no longer show them in the AOB class and this is why; I don't believe that Shorthorn Plus is a breed and I think it's an unfair advantage to show against other purebred breeds within the AOB class. If the heifer was registered Durham Red then that would be different and AOB would be appropriate. If you were in twistedshowstock's situation then that is a lot different. My personal opinion is that when there is a crossbred class then the Shorthorn Plus belongs in the crossbred class. The ultimate situation would be that there are 4 or 5 shorthorn plus heifers entered and then they should have their own class! Good luck to you!

mick rems

dsmith16 said:
mick rems said:

Shorthorn Plus calves have to be 50% shorthorn to show in major shows, but only 25% to register them as Shorthorn Plus.

http://shorthorn.org/Images/registration/rules/Rules%20%20Regs%20Aug15%202011_.pdf

Eligibility for Shows: ShorthornPlus and Durham Red animals are only eligible to show at designated ShorthornPlus shows and are not eligible for PACE points. Starting with the 2010/2011 show season, ShorthornPlus and Durham Red animals are only eligible to show at designated ShorthornPlus shows and are not eligible for PACE points. All ShorthornPlus animals must be 50% Shorthorn blood concentration or higher (7/16 if dam or sire is purebred 15/16) to be eligible for ShorthornPlus shows.

Eligibility: Initial entries into the ShorthornPlus Registry Program shall receive the prefix AR prior to registration number. This prefix shall be assigned to all cattle of the following percentages: 1/4, 5/16, 3/8, 7/16, 1/2, 9/16, 5/8, 11/16, 3/4, 13/16, and 7/8, except that cattle with black markings or coat color cannot exceed the 1/2 percentage designation.
thnk you for clearin that up i was not sure on the app short deal

dsmith16

mick rems said:
dsmith16 said:
mick rems said:

thnk you for clearin that up i was not sure on the app short deal

Your welcome, glad I could help

mick rems

JTM said:
twistedhshowstock said:
That is interesting that you don't have crossbred classes in Texas TSS.
In the past we have shown some of our shorthorn plus heifers in the AOB classes even though we have a crossbred class also. Our county fair is one of the most competitive in Ohio. We no longer show them in the AOB class and this is why; I don't believe that Shorthorn Plus is a breed and I think it's an unfair advantage to show against other purebred breeds within the AOB class. If the heifer was registered Durham Red then that would be different and AOB would be appropriate. If you were in twistedshowstock's situation then that is a lot different. My personal opinion is that when there is a crossbred class then the Shorthorn Plus belongs in the crossbred class. The ultimate situation would be that there are 4 or 5 shorthorn plus heifers entered and then they should have their own class! Good luck to you!
in wisconsin a lot of the shows hav a high% AOB and a low%AOB classes. or sometimes they just have aob, depending on how many animals they have. alot of the shows also like state fair if there is 10 or more animals of a breed they get their own breed classes, or they go in aob. ive only ever shown my mainetainer steers against maines, in aob, ive never shown mainetainer heifers against maine heifers. unless in aob. so if you have ten shorty plus's you will prolly end up with a breed, just my experience, no guarantees

heatherleblanc

Here, if there are enough Shorthorn Plus (number varies from show to show, usually minimum of 3-6), then they would have a class of their own, if not, it is based on their sire.  If their sire was a Cross, they'd be cross, if their sire was mostly one breed or another, then they'd go into that class, and the AOB class is just for purebred breeds that do not have enough to have a class of their own. 
For example, if you had a balancer female, and she was out of an angus bull and gelbvieh female, she'd be in the angus class.
If she was out of a gelbvieh/angus sire, and pb dam, shed be crossbred.
And only AOB if there were not enough of the breed of the sire to hold a class.