What clubby bull would work with a purebred Simmy?

Help Support Steer Planet:

Still Tryin

The cow is super long, with better than average thickness. A little wasty on the neck but is otherwise good fronted for a Simmy.

A.I.GUY

Hannibal may give u to much leg with a simmy but bulls like Rainmaker or Apocalypse or Breathe Taker are forms of Hannibal diluted down and should work quite well.

Still Tryin

Searched Rainmaker didn't find a lot of info.Definitely a possibility. Anybody else got any suggestions or had success with PB Simmy with anything?

CJB

You can go throught the laundry list of popular bulls of the past 10 or so years and find some that will work with PB Simmy cows.  Examples are Who Made Who, Heatwave and/or any of the clones, Monopoly, Eye Candy, Heatseeker.  Any of these bulls could work on PB simmy cows.  A lot of your choice is going to have to depend on what the cow needs for help versus what she has going for her.

Personally I've seen a lot of good WMW and Heatseekers out of PB Simmy cows.

Still Tryin

Thanks for the info, honestly I had kind of forgotten about Heatseeker!! Wouldn't have said that a few years ago. Too many bulls spoil the soup!!

CAB

Satulah Ridge Farm said:
we bred Rainmaker from lautner to many of our 80+% simmy cows and man he shines for throwing replacements

How many Rainmaker heifers do you have in production? What are their udders looking like and is milk production been good enough to raise a nice calf? Thanks, Cab

Steve123

who made who was famous for working on Simmi cows. The bigger and uglier the better.

OH Breeder

Heat Seeker and Heat Wave both work on Simmi influenced females. There have been some Meyer x HW steers that were flat awesome. I would know my due date and watch carefullly if using heat wave.

Steer4Caddy

I saw many calves in Iowa a few weeks ago and the most consistent were out of Unforgiven.  One in particular was out of a pretty common looking simmi cow and he was nice.  I would try him if you want to raise a show steer.

Sassy2899

I got a really nice calve sired by tyson out of a 3/4 simmy heifer. Will post a pic later on.

bk2005

i think it depends on what your goal is. if your going for a heifer to then breed for steers, id go with a real stout mid frame angus. most anything from SAV would have some grow or a duff bull would keep em smaller framed. (alot of good clubbys are from sim ang cross)

its hard to get good rib shape and body from a clubby bull with no maternal power comming from the cow.

for steers it still depends on what the cow lacks or has. if she is long and taller made, HW or mono all day long. if the cow is more compact and needs to get cleaned up in her front, use who made who, walks alone if she is common/plainer made.

JMO...

husker1

I posed the following question to one of the club calf world icons a few years ago...

"If I want to breed some of our Simmental cows to bulls to make show steers for the kids and females worthy of replacements, with no cripples or monster calves, what would your bull of choice be?" 

Pretty general, broad question.

His answer was Dr. Who. 

Dr. Who worked out well for us....

This was 5 years ago...perhaps some of the new bulls will do this even more consistently...