What do ya'll think of this exciting bull calf?

Help Support Steer Planet:

bull or steer?

• bull

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • steer

Votes: 17 77.3%

• Total voters

Mainevent

This is an I-80 x Ice Pick Red Knight bull calf November born in the process of being day weaned, I'm torn between keeping him a bull or steering him. What do ya'll think?

Attachments

• IMG_1631 copy.jpg
    IMG_1631 copy.jpg
    248.3 KB · Views: 330

Mainevent

I'll try to get a better picture he wasn't cooperating with the camera, I'm going to try to get a better one later tonight

Mainevent

Here is the better picture. What do y'all think from this one? Bull or steer?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    311.3 KB · Views: 286

CJ_ROCHHOLZ

still is pretty hard to tell in that pic it might just be me but i say cut but then again those pics dont do him any favors and he might be a totally diffrent calf in person than what im seeing in these pics

CAB

I honestly think it is way too early on this one to tell. It's going to take a great bull in the Maine Anjou breed right now, but it doesn't mean that your's won't work. Really has a nice profile. Hard to tell if he is going to be "soft" enough for today's market. JMO.

jackpotcattle

IMO u might as well leave him a bull. He doesnt appear powerful enough to make a steer so if u r looking for a premium your best chance IMO is leaving him intact although to me he really looks like a sale barn steer

Telos

I certainly don't think he's going to be a sale barn calf... I-80 x Icepick x Red Knight. Too highly valued and loaded with a gene pool for malking show calves. Both heifers and bulls.

The problem for a steer is simply too much Maine Anjou genetics..

So far, he's an extremely good looking calf should mature nicely.

I bet the cow he's out of also looks nice. She's bred similar to Irish Whiskey. Red Knight was a very good bull with his semen almost exstinct. Love to see a picture of her as well.

Mainevent

This is the dam. I bought her in 06 from coley Holmes. She is the base cow to my herd and still going strong.. Trying to find a new home for her

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 283

dimebag

With those genetic's leave him a bull , nice looking cow that he's out of . I agree with Telos , too much maine for a steer !

Bulldaddy

When you say leave him a bull, I wonder what kind of cows you would use him on.  Nice front on  him.  He may work on some heavy muscled charalois cows to pretty them up.You can always take the nuts off but you can't put them back on so you are smart to think this through.

Mainevent

If you are around Decatur, texas this week. He will be at wise county youth fair being shown as a prospect steer, or if you'd like to see him in person at the barn you may call of text me at 940-210-1127, I really like him just not sure if there is a market the last bull we kept we held on to him for a while before selling him.

Mainevent

Here's an update on the little guy took this picture tonight as we kicked him out of the cooler. What do y'all think of his progression, he stayed a bull and is goin to junior nationals the end of the month.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 262

DakotaCow

I can't  be the only one who is less than enthusiastic about his dams udder. If your looking to advance the breed then perhaps this calf isn't the way to go. Hard to tell from the picture but I dont see him being special.