What do you feed?

Help Support Steer Planet:

Silver

I was wondering what everyone feeds for roughage. I can't seem to keep my calf balanced; he always has the squirts. I know that his problem is directly related to his amount of roughage intake and not something else. So I wanted to ask if anybody knows how to get calves to eat more roughage. Also what kind of roughage is the best because I have seen people feed all sorts of stuff.

rtmcc

First, put your calf on a five or seven day treatment of Corrid in its feed or water to eliminate any chance of him having coccidiosis.  Then I usually try to find some really fresh smelling good grass hay, depending on what is available in your region.  I use Timothy up here.  Some of our calves get some better quality Alfalfa if they like it better and can handle it nutritionally.  Lots of forage makes BIG middle and rib and is lots cheeper than all the additives.

Hope that helps.

Ron
<cowboy>

shortyjock89

We feed the longest-stemmed grass hay we bale to the show calves, and turn them all out on a 3 acre paddock at night so they can get some fresh grass. I used to think it would give them the runs, but their poo is much more consistant in the summer out on grass.

AAOK

In my area the best additive to a show ration for fiber and fill is Cottonseed Hulls.  20% in a ration, and the calves won't need any more roughage.

farmin female

Silver said:
I was wondering what everyone feeds for roughage. I can't seem to keep my calf balanced; he always has the squirts. I know that his problem is directly related to his amount of roughage intake and not something else. So I wanted to ask if anybody knows how to get calves to eat more roughage. Also what kind of roughage is the best because I have seen people feed all sorts of stuff.

Are you sure it is the roughage intake? 

Calves get all kinds of digestive upsets just like you and I do.  The Corrid suggestion is good, but he may just be off balance in the good bugs in his gut.  You can put him on some pro-bios or a product called P-1. 

Silver

never really thought about that too much, but I went and got a tube of probios at the feed store tonight so hopefully it'll help.