what do you think about this

Help Support Steer Planet:

COLEBABIE

So last year being our first year showing, we did well much better than expected our county show was in march we placed grand champion and grand jr showman i could not have been happier. With that being said, I would like to take my son to a few shows this summer not because we have a big head but just for more experience i think that the more a kid shows the better he gets. The problem is most of the shows will be tcca shows and they are sanctioned which if you dont know this is what i consider the big boys. I know its a growing process but we are no where near knowing near as much as these people do. The biggest problem and i just simply dont want my son to look like the odd ball is we had to slick shear for our fair and of course our calf is just not going to be nearly as competitve against a steer with hair. However, is it just plain stupid to do this or is it like i think a growing process and helps him in the showring in the long run?
thanks

SSIMMENTALS

Congrats on a great first year!! <party> It is a great idea to try to go to some additional shows this summer for experience. Alll of the "big boys" had to start somewhere and if someone looks down on you for not having the most knowledge or the best calf they are not as big of a person as you may think. You can learn alot from just going and watching what others with more experience do. I'm confused. Did you show fat in March? If so I think you would have a different calf for this summer that you would show fat in March '11. This new calf could be managed to get hair on him for the summer shows and then you could just slick em in March. If you showed heifers and would have the same calf, you should be fine as well. From March to now is plenty of time to get hair coming back and going into the  summer they will shuck most of it and you would have had to start anew anyway. Good luck this summer!!

fed_champions

Not everybody who shows in the tcca are the big dogs. I can think of several families like the Newmans and the Carters who don't run points. Its only a few dollars to  enter the tcca and you can gain knowledge from the monthly issue of the showbox. Simmentals is right, the learning experiences of multiple shows is endless. The true Big Dogs won't make you feel like an outsider because they are ther to win the whole show, not to place toward the top of the class. I met a lot of my friends at summer shows and thought it was fun to travel and show. It keeps you in the routine over the summer and really teaches responsibility, companionship and good sportsmanship. I loved competing against my friends for bragging rights, but it never interfered with our frienship outside  the ring.

COLEBABIE

Yes we kept over our steer from the county show in march of 09. He was 1160 then and we have continued to feed him the same.

shortyjock89

COLEBABIE said:
Yes we kept over our steer from the county show in march of 09. He was 1160 then and we have continued to feed him the same.

So you want to show a Spring 08 calf this summer? 

fed_champions

Wow... He is really old, Your  supposed to show a new calf each year. They are supposed to be 18 to 20 months old when you show, that way they stay fresh in their fat cover.

The Show

I've been to two TCCA shows, both times I got SCREWED bc of politics. I'm not saying their all like that, but I tend to stay away from them. I don't show much in the summer bc nobody in my area has any summer shows. I don't think it's "big headed" that you want to show. I hit about 30-40 shows a year from sept. to about may.

BIGTEX

fed_champions said:
Not everybody who shows in the tcca are the big dogs. I can think of several families like the Newmans and the Carters who don't run points. Its only a few dollars to  enter the tcca and you can gain knowledge from the monthly issue of the showbox. Simmentals is right, the learning experiences of multiple shows is endless. The true Big Dogs won't make you feel like an outsider because they are ther to win the whole show, not to place toward the top of the class. I met a lot of my friends at summer shows and thought it was fun to travel and show. It keeps you in the routine over the summer and really teaches responsibility, companionship and good sportsmanship. I loved competing against my friends for bragging rights, but it never interfered with our frienship outside  the ring.

Wow, you should really use spell check. If someone stubbled across this website and read something like this they would think we were all a bunch of uneducated hicks! Karma is a Bitch!

fed_champions

BIGTEX said:
fed_champions said:
Not everybody who shows in the tcca are the big dogs. I can think of several families like the Newmans and the Carters who don't run points. Its only a few dollars to  enter the tcca and you can gain knowledge from the monthly issue of the showbox. Simmentals is right, the learning experiences of multiple shows is endless. The true Big Dogs won't make you feel like an outsider because they are ther to win the whole show, not to place toward the top of the class. I met a lot of my friends at summer shows and thought it was fun to travel and show. It keeps you in the routine over the summer and really teaches responsibility, companionship and good sportsmanship. I loved competing against my friends for bragging rights, but it never interfered with our frienship outside  the ring.

Wow, you should really use spell check. If someone stubbled across this website and read something like this they would think we were all a bunch of uneducated hicks! Karma is a *****!

Oh yea, the sentence structure in this post is horrible and the points are just so infantile and uneducated. NOT... The problems in this post are simply typos, spacing problems so forth, not misspelling a simple word like illegal twice.

And you misspelled stumbled in your critique of my grammar. Congratulations, On the status as Jackass of the day .

fed_champions

I know this... I stood 2nd and 3rd all through the summer. But in my last two years cashed in 160000 dollars from SA alone

COLEBABIE

OK, look people i did not intend for this to be a big blow up about who is better than who or a spelling or grammar lesson. When i speak of the so called " big dogs " I only mean those who are more experienced that use this club as a means and those who can really show well. I know that a fresher calf would be better however like i mentioned doesn't it at least give a kid a little more experience even if that calf is too old our calf is a December -08 so that makes him 17 months old. If there were shows upcoming that were for steers that were not tcca i would put him in those, we only really kept the calf over for the experience but also for a couple of cattle camps upcoming that i think my son as well as myself would benefit from. August this big beast is gone but for the time we have him I think it is sensible to show him whether in a tcca show or non sanction show. Who knows. Again did not mean to open a can of worms

loveRedcows

Spelling, grammar, etc. aside.....everytime you enter the show ring you gain experience, so go for it.

steer-guy

BIGTEX said:
fed_champions said:

Wow, you should really use spell check. If someone stubbled across this website and read something like this they would think we were all a bunch of uneducated hicks! Karma is a *****!

The person was simply discussing a subject with all who were interested. This is hardly a forum in which "complete senstence", "proper punctuation" and "proper spelling" is a must. Why do some just try to completly change the subject at hand and try to belittle someone when they post something. Some people seem to think they are better than others and place themselves on a pedestal above others. Most of the time, we find that these individuals are much farther from perfect than what they think they are.
Ease up a little!!!!

AAOK

COLEBABIE said:
OK, look people i did not intend for this to be a big blow up about who is better than who or a spelling or grammar lesson. When i speak of the so called " big dogs " I only mean those who are more experienced that use this club as a means and those who can really show well. I know that a fresher calf would be better however like i mentioned doesn't it at least give a kid a little more experience even if that calf is too old our calf is a December -08 so that makes him 17 months old. If there were shows upcoming that were for steers that were not tcca i would put him in those, we only really kept the calf over for the experience but also for a couple of cattle camps upcoming that i think my son as well as myself would benefit from. August this big beast is gone but for the time we have him I think it is sensible to show him whether in a tcca show or non sanction show. Who knows. Again did not mean to open a can of worms

COLEBABIE, I think it's a great idea to keep dragging your steer this Summer.  I also think it a good idea to hit all the TCCA shows you can.  The only way you get better(selection, feeding, fitting, grooming, showing) is by doing.  The only way you get great is learning from the great ones.  Had it not been for the National Junior Maine-Anjou shows and the OCCA/TCCA shows I'm sure our family would not have accomplished half of what we eventually did in the "show world".  Hangin' with the Big Dogs could be the best thing you'll ever do.  Whoever said "Winning isn't everything" is correct, but winning is a lot of fun, because only the winners know how much work it takes.

fed_champions

If you take a steer this heavy to  a summer show you will more then likely be the only one in your weight class. But, no matter where you show, ring experience is priceless for a young showman. Evidently yall are doing something right if yall won your county and congratualtions to your son for winning showmanship his first year out.

COLEBABIE

so here is what the calf looks like today, i think it will be ok, i think he will show well and my son will only get better and gain more experience. thanks for the kind words.

Attachments

• big red 5-10.jpg
    big red 5-10.jpg
    300.1 KB · Views: 496