What do you think of my show heifer?

Help Support Steer Planet:

andholl

What do you think of her? Any suggestions for breeding? She is a pb simmy so I'd like to use a pb simmy bull. Good and bad comments are both welcome. Thanks!

347h9bm.jpg

2wemlah.jpg

roper

I think you've got a great show heifer that will make a great cow.  Good luck with her.

ruhtram

Really nice heifer! She has lots of belly. Her best days will be as a cow!

twistedhshowstock

Really complete heifer.  Looks like you have done a good job with her.  What I love about this heifer is her volume and structural correctness.  She has a really big middle and a lot of rib shape.  Things I would like to change in her is maybe clean her up some in the front end, but Simmi's typically have a little more leather so that isnt a real big issue, just something I would change if I could.  What this heifer needs most in my opinion is some more hip.  I am not familiar enough with the Simmentals to offer you a bull opinion, but I would look for something that would add some hip.  Though my finding sometimes in the purebreds is that you can have trouble finding a heifer safe bull that is really going to add a lot of power to one.  But I think she is a very nice female and I agree with previous comments her brightest days will be in the pasture as a cow.

kfacres

better cow-- than show heifer--- the way it needs to be..

doesn't have the height of tailhead- or the clean enough front- to run in the ring... those aren't real world traits however... 

CMB

Love the broodiness and natural stoutness she brings to the table. I'd love to change her tail postion but she just screams cow and a big broody one at that. I'll say it again if you're not afraid of Dream On genetics I would use WAGR Driver. I am not sure how he is on calving ease but I don't think you'll be disappointed. His progeny is doing well.

wyatt

great heifer we showed a theobald heifer just like her took grand in her class our had alot of fuzz on her to tho she will make a great cow!

WKYIronMike

A Really Nice Heifer that should make a Great Dam. There are many nice Simmental Bulls that could click well with a female like that, a pedigree could really help us give suggestions.

WKYIronMike

I'm gonna pitch five names out that I like:
Built Right
CLO LTS Entourage
Ebony's Grandmaster
Ebony's Premium Blend
BMR Explorer
Good Luck with that Nice Female.

leanbeef

If you like real world, sound made cattle, take a look at PRS Blazin Hot. Homozygous black and homozygous polled baldy bull with an API of 136...first calves look really good. And the ones I've had have been small enough I'm gaining some trust in him for use on heifers.

vc

Jody, Jody, Jody, You know what was implied is that she has all the right parts and the look to be a great cow.

She would definitely not be on the cull list, and when bred, there would be high hopes for the offspring.

You do not keep heifers that you do not think are going to make good cows do you?

I'm pretty sure that I could take a truck load of those heifers and sell them for good money this spring, and the guys buying them would have high expectations as well.

kfacres

vc said:
Jody, Jody, Jody, You know what was implied is that she has all the right parts and the look to be a great cow.
You do not keep heifers that you do not think are going to make good cows do you?

did you read my post?  I said the same thing ;)

Yes, I actually have kept a heifer or two ( or a ewe lamb over the years-- or 10+), that I did not figure would ever make a cow- or brood ewe-= in my eyes- it's about genetic advancement. 

The only heifer calf that I can think of keeping back- that I truly questioned her ability-- was a heifer that I had loaned out-- and came back home foundered. I honestly, did not know if she'd ever do anything or not-- and we had an appointment to have her butchered- but at the last min decided to do something else.  To this day- I still cannot understand why she has turned out producing the calves that she has- She's currently bred back for her third calf-- and the first two heifers- were number one of our calf crop in their years.  To be honest, if I had to pick out ONE cow to take and build a new herd from-- if would be that heifer-- skinny, bag of bones, poor milking, gawd awful ugly...  She's hurts my eyes to look at- seriously...  I can send you a picture of her, if you'd like.. but why did I keep her?  B/c of her mother...

Now, ewe lambs- I've kept plenty big freaks over the years- and I knew on almost every one of them- they wouldn't be around to see they're 4Th birthday, they'd be dead, or shipped.. But they either had the genetics, or some breeding piece that I wanted to incorporate...

BUT, with that said... I'll be the first to admit, i am not normal- and most of the time, have no idea why I do; what I do.. Instinct I guess.

vc

I never said keep the freaks, I think that is where you get in trouble, It sounds like you base allot of your replacement decisions off of your knowledge of the animals parentage, so ya you might keep an ugly one if her parents were good performers. I wonder how many bulls that got the ugly gene were made steers, when infact they might have turned out like your ugly heifer and been a top performer.
It is allot easier to take a chance on a heifer and one calf then a bull and 20 calves,

Back to the heifer, she is the kind I like, balanced and looks like a cow, not a steer.

kfacres

vc said:
I never said keep the freaks, I think that is where you get in trouble,
Here's a FREAK_ this one actually bit my butt on keeping her.. but she was RR, and cleared the 40" mark by the time she turned 1 year old.  She was actually skinny enough, and lacked the internal capasity- that a month before she lambed she went down- and kicked off..  I actually had a very good friend bring his judging team by for a workout- and he made the comment to the effect that sheep as BAD enough- it actually pissed him off to know people would keep something like that to breed.  He knew I hated her- but he knew why I'd kept her-- just to see if she'd truly be able to raise a lamb.. She did not... 
It sounds like you base allot of your replacement decisions off of your knowledge of the animals parentage, so ya you might keep an ugly one if her parents were good performers. I wonder how many bulls that got the ugly gene were made steers, when infact they might have turned out like your ugly heifer and been a top performer.

You are correct, in which I place a lot of influence on pedigree to predict future outcome.  That's where I really struggle in using other people's genetics as outcross options-- and with the many bulls with semen availble.  I simply cannot determine the breeding potential of that 'ugly'.  Speaking of ugly.. I was always under the impression that Heatwave was destined to be a $1200 county fair steer... look what he did- good/ bad/ or indiferent. 

It is allot easier to take a chance on a heifer and one calf then a bull and 20 calves,
Again, very correct.  I have always preached and tried to live by-- keeping a true, solid, complete stud-- and tinkering around with outcrosses and freaks on the female side of things. 

Attachments

• 0990.jpg
    0990.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 146