What does a judge look for in bucket calves/feeder steers?

Help Support Steer Planet:

ChristaCheatham

Well my brother is showing a bucket calf that is sired by Walks Alone (first AI calf). We are starting to wean him as he was born April 6th and the show is July 29th. What does a judge look for in selecting bucket calves/feeder steers? Would he/she be more opt to select a bigger calf that weighs more or a calf that is built well just younger? First year showing a bucket calf. Thanks!

Limiman12

Depends on the judge and the show, the county fair I grew up with started as a pretty laid back bucket calf type show but has evolved to a full fledged prospect show.  One faimily has done quite well. Over the years bring flush mates, they usually get champion or rescue in at least two of the four divisions........  Last year the judge picked a pretty big calf, that was a beast amd good, to win it, a calf that was too big to ealistically be a project for the same show next year.  Other years the judge has kept in mind that the idea of the show was for calves that would come back the next year and gone with smaller calves that were good enough to compete, but the right size to be a project for next year.  I also know that the calves are not usually weaned at our fair...  Day weaned maybe, but they bring em up and show them the same day.....    Quite certain most go back to the cow in the evening,  I would be careful weaning, could set him back, might be better off day weaning, work with him then turn him back with mama

mainecattlemother

We have a Dream Catcher x Monopoly steer that is a later April that we will show as a prospect for our county fair. We will also bring the cow and show as a cow/calf pair as well. We have been feeding the calf with mamma and he eats grain wonderfully that way. We will wean him just before state fair. He will not be the biggest prospect but has been growing nicely and he still gets to stay on mamma for a bit. The prospects at state fair in the past have not been overly big. I think they may have been looking for a calf that can be brought back the following year.

ChristaCheatham

Thanks for the replies! Luckily our steer has been eating great and has been easy to work with so far. Any other tips for showing a bucket calf as in using a rope halter and show stick?