What is a good shorthorn bull?

Help Support Steer Planet:

Davis Shorthorns

knabe said:
oakbar said:
Did you know the Maine breed started out from Shorthorn cattle??  

no they didn't.  they started out from a breed called mancelle, and were then crossed with shorthorn.

a little birdy told me that we will soon know how related they are to angus and shorthorn.

though it's debatable what mancelle started out as, as far as utility, references are that they were used for beef, milk and draft and are from a group of cattle known as parthenaise.

link may or may not take you directly to history reference.

http://books.google.com/books?id=lRVEAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA727&lpg=PA727&dq=mancelle+cattle+parthenaise&source=bl&ots=imHkRxp2bN&sig=CGabhi3bJsxR52H4t6KlV26efus&hl=en&ei=ZRReS6O0O4XssQOX2_2ZAw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CAoQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=mancelle%20cattle%20parthenaise&f=false

the fribourgeoise cattle may not be extinct as some may have been found in s. america.

http://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/Extinct_Swiss_cow_turns_up_in_Patagonia.html?cid=6792474

From what I have learned about the Maine breed it was a 2 way cross with 75% shorthorn and 25% Mancelle that cross is what was then called the Maine Anjou breed.  That is also why a purebred red Maine bull, like Cunia can be registered as 3/4 blood shorthorn.

DCC_Cattle

For the first calf, the main goal is to get a live calf without killing the heifer. Jake's Proud Jazz has sired the smallest and easiest calves I have had out of first calvers. He will add thickness, maybe not good fronted cattle, but you can go for the gold the second time around.

oakbar

The The Society of Durham-Mancelle Breeders became  The Society of Maine-Anjou Society of Breeders in 1909.  Prior to this there were no cattle named Maine Anjou.   Durhams(English name for Shorthorns) were first imported to France to cross on the Mancelle breed in 1839 by the Count de Fallous.  These crossbred cattle were the first recorded Durham-Mancelle cattle.   So, there were no Maine Anjous until the Mancelle was crossed on Shorthorns ( Durhams as they were called back then) for several decades and then the Durham-Mancelle was renamed Maine-Anjou in 1909 for the two rivers in that part of France.

Having said all that, many of the breeds included  unregistered animals so the complete history or purity of almost any breed can be brought into question.

shortdawg

Sorry my post didn't work for some reason. There was an article in Shorthorn Country a few years back that had the relationship between Maines and Shortys in it. If I remember right it said that  Maine cattle were at the very least 3/8 Shorty.

knabe said:
oakbar said:
Did you know the Maine breed started out from Shorthorn cattle??  

no they didn't.  they started out from a breed called mancelle, and were then crossed with shorthorn.

a little birdy told me that we will soon know how related they are to angus and shorthorn.

though it's debatable what mancelle started out as, as far as utility, references are that they were used for beef, milk and draft and are from a group of cattle known as parthenaise.

link may or may not take you directly to history reference.

There was an article in Shorthorn Country a few years back that had the relationship between Maines and Shorthorns. If I remember right it stated that any Maine is at least 3/8 shorthorn.

http://books.google.com/books?id=lRVEAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA727&lpg=PA727&dq=mancelle+cattle+parthenaise&source=bl&ots=imHkRxp2bN&sig=CGabhi3bJsxR52H4t6KlV26efus&hl=en&ei=ZRReS6O0O4XssQOX2_2ZAw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CAoQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=mancelle%20cattle%20parthenaise&f=false

the fribourgeoise cattle may not be extinct as some may have been found in s. america.

http://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/Extinct_Swiss_cow_turns_up_in_Patagonia.html?cid=6792474

oakbar

Oops, forgive my Iowegian, dyslexic typing skills and imcomplet proofreading.  I see I have one too many "Society ofs" in the original post.