What is the definiton of "commercial"?

Help Support Steer Planet:

blackdiamond

Commercial:  commercial is an advertisement, or propaganda used by someone, or something to drive a point across.  Typically, commercials are based upon facts, and other knowledge superior to other forms of 'often times' more showy and fraudulent information. 

Used in a sentence:
I really hated the commercial on TV, as it reminded me of my grade school bus driver, Norma.  Man, I really hated that old broad, we disagreed on every subject. 

<rock>

jaimiediamond

com·mer·cial  (k-mûrshl)
adj.
a. Of or relating to commerce: a commercial loan; a commercial attaché.
b. Engaged in commerce: a commercial trucker.
c. Involved in work that is intended for the mass market: a commercial artist.
2. Of, relating to, or being goods, often unrefined, produced and distributed in large quantities for use by industry.
3. Having profit as a chief aim: a commercial book, not a scholarly tome.
4. Sponsored by an advertiser or supported by advertising: commercial television.

Commercial (Having profit as a chief aim)
Cattle (Any of various chiefly domesticated mammals of the genus Bos, including cows, steers, bulls, and oxen, often raised for meat and dairy products.)

Mueller Show Cattle

Good one Frostback, I think I know where you were going with this from reading another post earlier. For BlackDiamond, By definition as you have been asking what the definitions are. Guess what our show cattle are also Commercial cattle by definition. I raise my SHOW CATTLE with "Having profit as a chief aim" as I would expect any cattle producer, show cattle or not are looking to make a profit. Frostback welcome to the Commercial Cattle Business  (clapping).

blackdiamond

Big M Show Cattle said:
Good one Frostback, I think I know where you were going with this from reading another post earlier. For BlackDiamond, By definition as you have been asking what the definitions are. Guess what our show cattle are also Commercial cattle by definition. I raise my SHOW CATTLE with "Having profit as a chief aim" as I would expect any cattle producer, show cattle or not are looking to make a profit. Frostback welcome to the Commercial Cattle Business  (clapping).

profit is not your number 1 goal...  your number one goal is a class winning animal.

ROMAX

blackdiamond said:
Big M Show Cattle said:

profit is not your number 1 goal...  your number one goal is a class winning animal.
You are definately NOT trying to make ANY friends here?

sizzler14

As far as profit goes, I know plenty of people raising show cattle with half the cows as a seedstock producer and making as much and most of the time 50% more than the seedstock producer. Especially when you figure in using half the hay, grain, time, and land! This is like comparing baseball and football and asking which sport is more enjoyable. It just depends on the person, the goals, and the situation. I just wish a few members on this site would realize that people appreciate both markets and it should be left at that. This site is made up probably around 90% show cattle breeders and the daily routine of getting on her and bashing show cattle is getting a little old, immature, and down right sickening. I thought this site was meant to help fellow farmers and ranchers out and share informattion and stories whether it be about a success story, or questions about a bull, or how to treat something. Over the past 6 months, this site has turned into a real soap opera and there are about 3-5 members on this site who have a smart remark about everything and I am sure some of the fellow members dont enjoy reading them either. I have been a registered member on here for a year and visited often as a guest before that, and 6 months ago this was a great site, now its a soap opera.

blackdiamond

DiamondCattleCo said:
As far as profit goes, I know plenty of people raising show cattle with half the cows as a seedstock producer and making as much and most of the time 50% more than the seedstock producer. Especially when you figure in using half the hay, grain, time, and land! This is like comparing baseball and football and asking which sport is more enjoyable. It just depends on the person, the goals, and the situation. I just wish a few members on this site would realize that people appreciate both markets and it should be left at that. This site is made up probably around 90% show cattle breeders and the daily routine of getting on her and bashing show cattle is getting a little old, immature, and down right sickening. I thought this site was meant to help fellow farmers and ranchers out and share informattion and stories whether it be about a success story, or questions about a bull, or how to treat something. Over the past 6 months, this site has turned into a real soap opera and there are about 3-5 members on this site who have a smart remark about everything and I am sure some of the fellow members dont enjoy reading them either. I have been a registered member on here for a year and visited often as a guest before that, and 6 months ago this was a great site, now its a soap opera.

I've been a member since 2007, one of the oldest on here...

SO I suppose, maybe you haven't been on here as long as you thought.

sizzler14

didnt mention any names at all, but it does speak volumes when someone speaks out like that when no names where mentioned.. also I did not say I had been on here forever, I mearly stated in about 1.5 years of folleing this site, I have seen a rapid change in the last 6 months

twc77

blackdiamond said:
DiamondCattleCo said:
[

so.. why does the profile say 2012? ya going under cover for the grass fat mafia?

blackdiamond

twc77 said:
blackdiamond said:
DiamondCattleCo said:
[

so.. why does the profile say 2012? ya going under cover for the grass fat mafia?

different account

trevorgreycattleco

I'll bite.

Commercial cattle to me is really what seed stock or show cattle boil down to. They all get eaten. The difference is the practices and philosophies applied. Commercial cattlemen or women don't use emotion in the equation. They cull ruthlessly. They push the herd to hit the goals the owners have set for the operation while meeting the goal of the indusrty's needs. While turning as much profit as possible. Minimum input into the herd while getting maximum profits from the output. Forcing cattle to thrive on their own without assistance.

I always thought the purpose of showing cattle was to highlight the accomplishments of your breeding abilities. Not contests on who has the biggest wallet or best fitter. I think the story of chambero winning fort worth I believe is a great example of showing your own to the highest level. That was a breath of fresh air for me. It could still be done. Who will be the next brave soul who risks humiliation by bringing something different to the table, that you bred that could benefit the industry as a whole. Cheaper, better beef is the mission we should be following. I think most times folks get caught up in there own situation and don't look past it.

twc77

blackdiamond said:
twc77 said:
blackdiamond said:
DiamondCattleCo said:
[

different account
No kidding? wow, so a person can say anything they like with no consequence, and come back with a new account/ clean slate? this site gets sweeter everday like topix and cows! But seriously, if you all can get aj to close this one out for you all then recite the oath, say the gang is all here then chalk this one up as another "moral" victory. Then you guys can get back to the movement man. doll house cattle jihad or whatever you wanna call it. Good work sirs..

trevorgreycattleco

Did I insult you? The gang is always all here. In case you haven't noticed Steerplanet has also become a place for shorthorn people. I've seen people get kicked off plenty. What the hell does that solve? Cry me a river man. If you can't take the heat get out of the kitchen. Debate is good. Different opinions are good. Whining and complaining that some folks picked on me is very third grade. I don't care if you like me or not I'll still have a conversation about anything in the cattle industry. I always stand to learn something. Keep a open mind type stuff. If I knock a animal or pedigree it's because I don't like it. Not politics. Real life isn't always sunshine and lollipops. Why should this be? Research some threads. This has been going on since the beginning. You just came in late. As did I.

trevorgreycattleco

Everyone has to start somewhere. You can't magically creat a base herd. My question to you is are you a buyer of good cattle or a breeder of good cattle? That in a nutshell is the difference between a true commercial cattleman and a show jock. It's a free country. You can be whatever you want. No wrong answer.

J

JTM

I honestly really enjoy the debates about cattle and people telling others how they feel about certain animals and their performance. I believe it has taken this site to a whole other level. I'm sure Jason the administrator could tell us what kind of visitor count the site has seen in the last 6 months to a year and say whether or not people are tuning in to read what others are saying. It's not so much about the drama, because I honestly dislike the personal attacks, but it's about the shocking truth that people are willing to say on a forum that they wouldnt easily say in public because it makes some who play the game uncomfortable. Not sure If I am considered "one of the gang" or not but i do see that the ones that may be considered to be in the gang have their personal reputations out on the line and their information for anyone to see who they are. A lot of times those who complain about them are the ones hiding their identification for some reason that we don't know. Political expediency maybe?

Quick fire

There are tons of people who raise show cattle for profit. Tons of breeders ai and stick eggs, calve out the calves and sell there top % to showmen, and aim to make a profit. Hopefully, you have some winners.

trevorgreycattleco

I love the debates. I love someone making me take a step back and think. I've made more friends on Steerplanet. Lost one to. But that's the way it goes. A perfect example to me is oakview. I don't think we could like more different types. However I enjoy his stories and opinions. I have mouthed off to chambero before I really knew much about him. I wouldn't dare do that now. Oh Breeder is a great fella and always has a good thought. AJ is a good fella. He reminds me of a stand up comic. Yet he KNOWS cattle. Knabe could be the smartest guy I've ever read. A@T Cattle is my friend. He is the breeds great hope. His cattle can run with anybody's.  is my friend. His knowledge and eye for shorthorns is top of the class. XBAR is a smart fella. He can see the big picture. I respect his opinions. JTM is my friend. His passion for shorthorns and open mind are fantastic. Several other folks on here speak their mind as well. Okotoks, RN Reed, coyote, JIT, the list goes on and on. Without Steerplanet I think the shorthorn breed would not be where it is now. It's moving forward. People are talking and more importantly people are reading and even perhaps thinking about shorthorns.