What is too cold?

Help Support Steer Planet:

LindseysMaine_Angus

I was just wondering what is too cold to wash calves? There's a show Saturday and I've been waiting for a day to get these calves washed and I'm running out of time. Unfortunetly I do not have an insulated barn or an indoor wash rack. What do you guys think? It's currently 12*, feels like -4.

HomeRaised

Before I built my wash rack, I would wash in my trailer with the winter kit in at home. I would put my Nibco bullet style heater in the nose of the gooseneck, close the center gate, tie the calf to the center gate in the back compartment, and wash and dry there. Have the trailer sloping to the tail. If you have a bit opf sloping ground, try to have the ground sloping towards the nose. The water will run out the back and under the trailer preventing ice right behind the trailer when you take the calf off. You can spray the floor down with windshield washer fluid when your done to prevent ice from forming in your trailer.

Medium Rare

HomeRaised said:
Before I built my wash rack, I would wash in my trailer with the winter kit in at home. I would put my Nibco bullet style heater in the nose of the gooseneck, close the center gate, tie the calf to the center gate in the back compartment, and wash and dry there. Have the trailer sloping to the tail. If you have a bit opf sloping ground, try to have the ground sloping towards the nose. The water will run out the back and under the trailer preventing ice right behind the trailer when you take the calf off. You can spray the floor down with windshield washer fluid when your done to prevent ice from forming in your trailer.

Same system I used in the beginning, except I used the nose of the trailer with the bullet heater blowing at us and ran the water through an old hot water heater I got out of someone's rental house when they upgraded to electric. Was a wood flood with gaps, but I always tried to blow the floor dry with the heater and blower when we were done. Eventually just moved the tank, heater, and water heater into an insulated room after getting it built. Don't forget to drain the water heater after every use though, or it's a one time deal.

Looking back, I can't imagine going through all that trouble for a non heated winter show now. Not sure if I should thank or scold my parents for letting me do all the ignorant stuff I thought was a good idea at the time.

Auburnviewfarms

If you have a heated wash rack should one still want hot water? I would think the 45 degree water coming out of the ground would be fine.

Tallcool1

We have a heated wash rack, and do not heat the water.  Every once in awhile we will have one shiver a little bit, but typically they are fine.

The most important thing we found is to gradually cool them off when we are done washing.  We start by opening the door a little bit, then a little more, then shut off the heat.  We spend about an hour getting them back to the outside temperature.

By the way, the heated trailer idea is awesome!!!  I have never heard of such a thing, and that is what I call making what you have work!

Medium Rare

Auburnviewfarms said:
If you have a heated wash rack should one still want hot water? I would think the 45 degree water coming out of the ground would be fine.

It's probably not necessary, but warm water is relaxing. I'm talking barely warmed, not anywhere near hot. When I'd knock the dirt out of a group of crazy pasture fresh late summer/early fall calves for the first time in February they always seemed to wash and react to the warmer water better. This was long enough ago I was still dealing with the Chi ordeal. Anything you could do to keep them sane was worth it as some of those calves were never the same if they ever "went off".