What makes a successful project?

Help Support Steer Planet:

LostFarmer

This was our 3rd year playing with market steers.  The first year we bought a good calf and raised one of our own.  The second year we also bought market heifers and raised market steers.  This year we kept only some of our own.  I was talking to another parent and they were bemoaning the fact that the commercial steers are never competitive with the show steers.  He was saying that they just aren't as good of projects as the clubby cattle.  I guess I have to agree if winning the market show is your criteria then they aren't as good. 

This years calves are herford sired one out of an angus cow and one out of a simxcharxherf cow.  One was an April 21st calf and the other a May 17th calf.  The show was August 2nd. 
IMG_6087_1.jpg

Black calf finished at 1278 and peachy at 1325.  Frame 50.5 on the black calf and 52 on Peachy.  Both gained over 3.5 ADG.  Peach was a YG2 and graded choice minus and the baldy was select plus and also a 2.  Both packed a 14" rib eye. 

To me this is a successful project.  The boys raised a quality piece of beef from the calf they were given to feed.  Neither calf will horse with the exotics in the show ring but they have hung a good carcass. 

So let me hear the opinions on what makes a successful project?

LostFarmer

-XBAR- said:
If it wasn't about winning, there would be no judge.

I like both the calves, looks like they took good care of em.

Of course it is about winning or you wouldn't keep trying to improve.  We have won with purchased calves but does that mean it was a more successful project? 

LostFarmer

For me it is about raising kids.  If all we wanted was the buckle it would be easier and cheaper to call Montana Silversmith and have one made.  Buy a steer place it with a steerjock and have the kid take the lead as it heads to the ring.  There is far more to it than winning but the element of competition also adds to the drive to get better. 

leanbeef

I think it's important when we're talking about JUNIOR projects to balance winning the show with all the other things we learn and the reasons we do this. It isn't JUST about winning.... It's about learning how to breed & select good livestock; about learning to feed and care for an animal and develop him with a market goal in mind; about being a piece of an industry that needs to keep and educate our kids about this way of life. It's about the discipline and responsibility and respect and patience it takes, and about reward and satisfaction and even the disappointments. Winning helps with that reward lesson, and it sure feels good when your kids get to experience that part, too. But we have to teach them that's not the only important lesson to learn. It isn't JUST about the winning.

On the flip side, I see kids showing cattle whose parents obviously don't understand the reward and satisfaction of doing well. They'll argue that winning is not the reason they do it, but I guarantee those kids would like to not be last! It's a balance, and we should teach them to set more goals than just winning the show. Give them more opportunities to succeed and to be proud of their accomplishments and to enjoy what they're doing. We're not all going to win at everything every time, but the guys who learn to persevere and enjoy the competition--even when they know they aren't gonna finish first--they'll win at some point. And they'll appreciate their effort even when they don't.

Telos

From top to bottom... Start to finish. Those are two ideal steers for today's market.

Home raised kids and steers. IMO, it does not get much better. Not only successful but you also came out winners.

Picture says it all.

LostFarmer

leanbeef said:
On the flip side, I see kids showing cattle whose parents obviously don't understand the reward and satisfaction of doing well. They'll argue that winning is not the reason they do it, but I guarantee those kids would like to not be last! It's a balance, and we should teach them to set more goals than just winning the show. Give them more opportunities to succeed and to be proud of their accomplishments and to enjoy what they're doing. We're not all going to win at everything every time, but the guys who learn to persevere and enjoy the competition--even when they know they aren't gonna finish first--they'll win at some point. And they'll appreciate their effort even when they don't.

I have seen this in several parents.  The kids are given poor animals and at the end when the results come back the parents say it isn't about winning.  You all sell by the pound.  I think it is how the kid feels about the project.  My boys are much more win oriented than the girls.  The girls are content to play with lambs or pigs and have the animals be their best buddies.  The boys see it as a project to get a steer fat and have him ready.  They are now looking at these commercial cows and the bulls available and wanting to try matings. 

I think we can honestly say that a successful project is different for each kid and family.

chiangus

I hate to say this, but we sell our best prospects and the kids show good cattle, but not our very best.  It is a business first and hobby second.

I do follow how our best prospects turn out.

firesweepranch

Success is relative to a personal measurement. This is our success story; bred and owned, purebred, finished at 1324, hung at 890lbs, choice, yg2. He won the carcass contest for our county (and live evaluation), and was one of only a few that did not qualify for CAB premium. His carcass valued at over $1700. We were very proud, plus he tastes VERY GOOD! This steer was out of my daughter's Shear Force 2 year old cow, she might weigh 1050 if she is lucky, and weaned him off at over 700 pounds.
To us, that is success!

Attachments

• charlie rib eye.jpg
    charlie rib eye.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 446
  • charlie side aug 11.jpg
    charlie side aug 11.jpg
    260.6 KB · Views: 447
  • charlie lawrence co fair res champion.jpg
    charlie lawrence co fair res champion.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 452

LostFarmer

Took the boys to the packer to see their steers on the rail.  Dressed out at 63% on the peach calf and 61% on the black calf.  Nice even marbling to the meat.  I wish either one was headed to my freezer.  I call that a success. 

vc

My thoughts on what makes a successful project:
If by the end of the project the animal has reached its potential, the exhibitor knows that they did all they could to raise the animal to be at its best for its final show.  They enter the ring with pride in what they have raised, and a little hope that they will compete in their class. The animal grades out and provides a quality product to the person the purchases it, they want to do it again next year. It has been a successful project.
It is not about how good the hair is; it is about how much time and work you put into it, to get what you got, he may be short haired but it is the best short hair at the fair. It is not about winning; it is about bringing the animal at its best and doing your best.
We all want to win, but there is only on winner, sometimes it works out in your favor sometimes in does not. If you know you did everything the right way, can feel pride and accomplishment in your project, you have been successful.
I sold a calf out of a first calf heifer and a cleanup bull, to a young man who was raising his first steer. The calf looked pretty wrung out and was not much to look at as a weanling; I sold him for basically market price, and guaranteed that he would make the auction (he would have had to died or lost a leg to not make auction at our fair, but that is another story) He ended up winning his class and finishing third overall in the black division out of 25 black calves.  The calf was at his peak, he was fed well and he had met his potential as a market animal. I would have to say he had a successful project.