What red bull?

Help Support Steer Planet:

WMW11

What is the best RED low birth weight  bull to use on clubby type heifers?

J

JTM

I have had fairly good success with Jake's Proud Jazz. I guess it depends on what you are looking for in the calves.

Show Heifer

Hamley, a red angus, has proven calving ease AND is solid red, AND seems to throw a bit of "clubby look".
Fat Tony, another red angus is an unproven option, might be worth a look,  especially since you are not worried about registering the calves as red angus.
Winchester is also another clubby looking red angus calving ease sire (unproven but recommended).  Should sire deep, thick, easy fleshing calves that have the style to show.

OH Breeder

Gizmo- roan but will throw reds
Older shorthorn bull Surf- Mostly red with some white
others have said Jake's Proud Jazz- LIght roan
On my short list for spring Captain Obvious- Solid REd
Muridale Buster 2nd Solid Red bull
Ar Su Lu Osage
Lakeside Nitro- Sue is a regular on here and should have some calving reports on both Nito and Obvious
Any one of these would give you a shorthorn plus. What is the color of the cow you are breeding?

WMW11

One heifer is black and white and the other is a all white.  Thanks for the suggestions.  What have been the weights on the Jakes Proud Jazz calves?

J

JTM

Some of the birthweights off the top of my head for Proud Jazz: First calf heifers, 75-80lb heifer calves. Around 85-90 on bull calves. 75% unassisted on first calf heifers. We have had good results using ALM Chiller also. He is roan.

J

JTM

I should say, depending on the frame size and calving ability of your heifers, you may want to go with a calving ease angus bull the first time around. If you have moderate to large shorthorns or Maines like I do, then the two bulls I mentioned should be alright.

Latest posts