What should I breed her to?

Help Support Steer Planet:

woltemathangus

My shorthorn show heifer from a year ago, she had a nice shorthorn plus bull calf by Limestone Jupiter on the 6th of march. I want to breed her to a PB shorthorn. She is not lacking in the hair department, but i do want to make her offspring a little bit more easy fleshing. Jakes Proud Jazz was a thought, what do you think?

Attachments

• Shorthorn+.jpg
    Shorthorn+.jpg
    335.4 KB · Views: 209
  • Shorthorn++.jpg
    Shorthorn++.jpg
    320.3 KB · Views: 204
  • Regpaper.jpg
    Regpaper.jpg
    286.9 KB · Views: 235

red roan

Austin. I think captain obvious would be a good choice .on the other side I like my assets and sinister calves pretty good.

Davis Shorthorns

I think that Captain would be a good choice.  I would stay away from ANYTHING with trump or Rodeo Drive in it.  At least for the first calf.  Also going back with a good Black or Red Angus bull for that first one would be good.  I have had good luck with SAV Final Answer.  Also try a bull like Double Duty or RS 329.  May not the be most flashy calf but it should be alive. 

red roan

Davis Shorthorns said:
I think that Captain would be a good choice.  I would stay away from ANYTHING with trump or Rodeo Drive in it.  At least for the first calf.  Also going back with a good Black or Red Angus bull for that first one would be good.  I have had good luck with SAV Final Answer.  Also try a bull like Double Duty or RS 329.  May not the be most flashy calf but it should be alive. 
didn't she have her first calf or did I read.it wrong ?

woltemathangus

Bag is good. I am trying to make a show prospect but i still want to have some maternal value and longevity.

woltemathangus

@frostback- he is the wildest colored blue roan i have ever seen. He is brown, black and white. I suppose he will get darker and be a black and white blue roan but right not he has the usual brown calf hair

shortdawg

I think JPJ will work for a show prospect. Mine have all been easy fleshing and easy keeping.

OH Breeder

Have you had her PH and TH tested? That also would be a good think to do. The newer companies offer hair testing that is easier.

OLD WORLD SHORTIE

Since she has calved before i would use one of the CF Solution brothers and start working on getting more Trump in those bloodlines. But thats just me, your heifer and a  Trump son would make  one super fancy calf.

woltemathangus

Im pretty new to the shorthorn business, i have hear of the bull Trump but i dont know his traits and qualities. Is he a maternal sire? what about captain obvious, is he maternal?