What should I do to make my my cow look “softer”

Help Support Steer Planet:

grantman

So I have a almost 2 year old cow that is about seven months pregnant. And I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how I could make her look softer. I currently feed 4 scoops of purina finishing touch, 3 scoops beet pulp and a lb of depth charge twice a day. I have been thinking about adding purina heavyweight or glu-coat but, they are kinda expensive and I want to know if they work for what I need.

Thank you

vc

Post a picture, it will help to see what you are trying to do,

grantman

Ok most of these are after I washed her.IMG_6164.jpegIMG_6167.jpegIMG_6093.jpegIMG_5672.jpeg
I mainly think she has too much muscle showing in legs and rump.IMG_5920.jpeg

vc

Well she looks like she has plenty of cover on her, and you said she is due in 2 months, I think your best bet is to back off the grain and give her all the grass hay she wants, keep pushing her and you could end up with a big calf, as the calf develops she should fill in.

Last edited:

Chuck Wagon

Real nice heifer. Yes, I agree with vc, ditch the high fat Purina and feed fiber, fiber, fiber. Getting a heifer bred is the goal, so nice job on that and the next goal is feeding her so she is presentable in the show ring and more importantly, her life as a cow after the show is done. Some heifers have the genetics to put muscle and shape in the right areas and you just can't force it. Overfeeding leads to bad joints, bad hooves, excess fat and the loss of a breeding cycle. If she were mine, I would feed a pre con type ration, cotton seed hulls, and turn her out in the pasture with a roundbale.