What should I have in my Cattle First Aid kit?

Help Support Steer Planet:

RyanChandler

hamburgman said:
Data from ISU D-Lab doesn't show that LA-200 (oxytetracycline) is worthless.  Penicillin works well against foot rot and is a cheap broad spectrum antibiotic.  Would I use it in respiratory cases, never.  You need something faster acting.  Banamine is great but have to be careful of ulcers.  I seldom use Dex in cattle since it is so hard on their immune system.

La 200 and pen are two of the fasting acting antibiotics available. Hence their short half life and need for ed or eod administration.  They're just not very potent drugs.  They're cheap- figuratively and literally.  I also use 10cc of dex w/ either lutalyse or estrumate when weaning heifers as it's too inexpensive not to use for the additional insurance it provides.

SandyB

-XBAR- said:
hamburgman said:
Data from ISU D-Lab doesn't show that LA-200 (oxytetracycline) is worthless.  Penicillin works well against foot rot and is a cheap broad spectrum antibiotic.  Would I use it in respiratory cases, never.  You need something faster acting.  Banamine is great but have to be careful of ulcers.  I seldom use Dex in cattle since it is so hard on their immune system.

La 200 and pen are two of the fasting acting antibiotics available. Hence their short half life and need for ed or eod administration.  They're just not very potent drugs.  They're cheap- figuratively and literally.  I also use 10cc of dex w/ either lutalyse or estrumate when weaning heifers as it's too inexpensive not to use for the additional insurance it provides.

What "insurance" does the Dex combined with Lutalyse or Estrumate provide for weaning heifers? Soory, I am a green horn when it comes to cattle :-\

obie105

As another horse person that crossed over to cattle years ago here's a few things I have learned. Observe your cattle you can pick up on a ton of things and stop a lot in its tracks. It has seemed like thru the years we have had the least amount of problems with our show cattle and the most with baby calves. Find a neighbor or friend with cattle experience and also use their knowledge. I learned a ton from our farmer neighbor when just starting. Use your vet as a reference. Calls are free. There are tons of helpful people on here even tho it doesn't seem like it at times. There will be a learning curve. It sounds like you have a good start. The big thing is to read labels and use common sense. With just a few head I wouldn't keep much on hand for drugs as it would pry expire before you would use it. LA 200 and pen have their place but I will agree with the rest that there are better respiratory drugs out there. Also the search function on here is great.

hevmando

Dexamethasone or cortisone

Dex or dextrose for quick acting energy

I think these are the two kinds of Dex people refer to and I read posts for years before figuring it out.  Not sure if I did yet though.  Many helpful people on this board will correct me though I think/hope :)

Good post by the way.