What Size Trailer Should We Buy?

Help Support Steer Planet:

LindseysMaine_Angus

We will probably be hauling 8-10 head with 12 head probably at the most. We will have 2-3 chutes hopefully by the end of the season, a fan cage and a show box. What size trailer do you think we should buy? We figure AT LEAST 20 or 24'. What do you guys think.

vc

How far are you hauling? 12 head in a 24ft trailer is 2 foot each, then you have to find room for your tack. Sounds like you need a 24ft trailer and a 16ft trailer to pick up the slack. ;)
We could haul 3 calves tied in the front 8 feet with the other 8 ft for tack. You might need a 32 footer for 12 calves and tack.
12 Calves at an average of 800 pounds is 9600, plus tack and feed another 1000 your at 10600 pounds not counting the trailer weight. We hauled 10 fats home from the fair in a 24 ft trailer it was heavy (over loaded) and tight, that was with no tack.

With that many head I would say go ahead and cross 20 foot of the list. You need to be looking at something more like 32 feet. I have a 24x8 Elite and at MOST with all our tack we could do 5-6 head.

vc

32 foot is what I was thinking they would need, I do not know about your state but some of them will require a class A with that size trailer and weight.

Auburnviewfarms

We have a 34' southern Classic Tri ax and have hauled 6 yearling heifers, 3 fat steers and 3 cow calf pairs so 15 head and they were stacked in full length of the floor with no room for anything that doesn't fit above the hitch. So unless your hauling 450 lbs calves it would be tough to get more than 8 head and all that tack in anything less than 34'.

LindseysMaine_Angus

I wonder if our 6.0 will haul that😂 Come on little ford you can do it!!! I guess I know what I'm asking for, for Christmas! 😂 Thanks everyone