What to breed this Chi-Maine heifer to.

Help Support Steer Planet:

Sassy2899

This heifer is out of Tyson X Who Made Who cow.  She is supper long and tall and I want to breed her to a bull that will help knock some of the leg and length from her calves in the future.  Do you all have any suggestions as to what bull I should use? I know most people are just looking for a live calf, so I would prefer the bull be a low birth weight and/or calving ease.

Attachments

• Ruby.jpg
    Ruby.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 198

wyatt

rocky balboa dirty hairy 2 or ali thats what i would use rocky will probly downsize the most

AAOK

What bull is her sire?  I might have an opinion if I knew the top side genetics.

chambero

She doesn't look particularly tall at all in that picture - and most Tyson calves certainly aren't.

Sassy2899

AAOK: her sire is Tyson.  You can look him up on www.bullbarn.com, this website will have his pedigree back to his great grand sire's and dams'.

Diamond

being that tyson is an ali son...I wouldent use ali. Perhaps jesse james? To me, by this pic she needs more depth, not that shes too tall. good luck with her  :)

wyatt

i didnt say she was tall i was saying rocky would keep her small not add hight at all

wyatt

DH2 is 3 star calving ease according to topsires so is rocky balboa wmw and chill factor

showsteerdlux

wyatt said:
DH2 is 3 star calving ease according to topsires so is rocky balboa wmw and chill factor

Well 1st of all, Top Sires doesn't own the bull. Look on the owners blog and read what they say. Could just be me, but I wouldn't go by the amount of stars an unproven bull has in a distributors catalog.

wyatt

all in all it depends on the heifer you breed him to if she has calving ease genetics go for it if she is extremely clubby id wait and if she is maternal and big framed i would probably risk it but it might not be worth it

OH Breeder

wyatt said:
lautner farms blog spot calving ease recommendations  http://lautnerfarms.blogspot.com/p/calving-ease-recommendations.html dirty hairy 2 is the second one down

Just an FYI Wyatt, I don't think Lautner's raised him. This was his first breeding season so you can stack alll the genetics for calving ease but still get big ones an til the bull has been put into service.
I have a DH heifer and she is large bodied and large in general. The Strictly Business in there might throw a biggin' now and then.

wyatt

i don't think lautners raise allot of there bulls i am not sure tho i know they buy alot of them

OH Breeder

wyatt said:
i don't think lautners raise allot of there bulls i am not sure tho i know they buy alot of them

I think you might have missed my point. The first breeding season of a bull can give you a lot of insight as to how he is going to calve. Strictly Business goes back to Fear This. Fear This was not exactly calving ease at all. SB has a BW EPD of 3.7 and that is not really considered calving ease for heifers. IF I were to consider a calving ease bull I look at both sides of his genetics. They will contribute to the calves BW as well as the heifers BW. You have a Clubby heifer that is a crap shoot. You loose some ability to predict how the BW's will come out with 3 and 4 way cross. Heifers = Proven Calving ease bulls... you are setting them up for their reproductive future. The first year should be live calf and establish the heifer's ability to be a mother. Sometimes you will hit a home run others will be just okay but you have an intact uterus and live heifer and calf. You hear of Calving ease bulls throwing a big one every now and then. WHen you research sometimes you willl find that in the females background or in the bulls back ground their was that one 100#'er. It just happens.