What to breed to

Help Support Steer Planet:

ty378

Hey I bought 30 gelbvieh most are straight gelbvieh some have a bit of simi, would like to raise calves and mabey retain one or 2 females a year. Would like to buy a bull but not sure which breed dose anyone have any suggestions or experience with a cross?

Redfern

My preference would be Red Angus on the Gelbvieh cows.  I have seen some really good Ruger sired calves out of gelbvieh cows.

ty378

What colour are the balancer calves if you use a red angus heifers are tan or gold colour? Do they sell well?

RyanChandler

Depends if your Gelbvieh are black or red. If black, them it depends if they are homo black or not. If homo black, bred to a red angus, all your calves will be black. If not, half your calves will be red.  If your Gelbvieh are red, and you use a red angus bull, all your calves will be red. The only option to get tan calves out of black or red cattle is to use a Charolais bull.

SpiceCattleCo

We bought a small herd package of commercial Gelbveih/Red Angus cows and they are really good mothers. The Gelbveih are VERY protective when they calve for the first couple days. We breed them to a Limousin bull and have had good luck producing feedlot cattle. The person buying the calves love the muscle that Gelbveih and Limousin puts on the calves.