what to spend on a steer?

Help Support Steer Planet:

Belties R Us

I am currently searching for a show steer and was wondering what a reasonable amount to pay to be able to break even on the project but still get a good calf? Thanks.

shortdawg

It really depends on a lot of factors: where you will be showing it, where you plan to sell it, level of competition, and many more. If you are at the county level only and your county has a decent sale I'd say in the $1500 range but, again, the figure really is relative to lots of factors.

GoWyo

1.  Figure out your goal -- is it to make money or to win the show.  Sometimes you can do both, but around here the stars have to align just right.
2.  If it is to make money, then determine the average sale price for the past couple of years at your terminal show, deduct the cost of feed and that will give you the break even amount you can spend on a steer before you lose money.  At our junior livestock sale, average price has been around $3000-$3200.  If it costs $1000 to feed one (not paying retail prices for bagged show feed), then the break even is around $2000 in cost of the steer.  A $1500 steer allows for a small profit.  Figuring it will probably cost $1200 to feed one next year, and average sale price probably won't go up, so that puts more of a squeeze on it.
3.  If the goal is to win the show, then money isn't the primary consideration. Just figure out how much you can afford to lose on the project.

iowabeef

A good eye is sooooooooo much more important than the amount you spend.  Spending a lot of money does not guarentee success.  Hard work on hair and a good feeding program get you much farther.  You need to either have a great eye to pick a good one yourself or REALLY trust who is picking for you.  One of our best animals ever was a market heifer we purchased from a neighbor for $900 two years ago.  We routinely beat cattle costing between 3000 and 6000.  Money does not = success

Ohio1

It's near impossible to break even so I would spend what you have on the best animal that fits your budget!

OLD WORLD SHORTIE

To bad our county show is after houston and so that makes it a non hair show. So actually working with a calf's hair is not really a determinate of actually doing well. Just throw them tons of feed and hope for the best. If it were a hair show i would be more inclined to show a steer, just cause i know we would out work the county folks. To bad for us and just plain lucky for them.
That being said i would love to show some home raised or $1500 steers to turn a good profit but it is just not worth it for me when i can put that money into a fancy haired heifer that looks the part.

GoWyo

It's not impossible to break even unless you don't care how much you spend.  If you get out and find the best calf that fits within your budget, feed them right, and do the work, you might be surprised how well you do.  We had much more success with some $1500 calves than we did with a $2500 calf that just never panned out.  The $1500 calves made money.  The home raised calves made the most money even if they haven't been barn burners in the show ring.  That is the college savings plan.  Losing money showing steers is counterproductive to the college savings plan.  The money management aspect can be a very good life skills lesson if it is a priority and winning after paying attention to management makes it that much sweeter.

AAOK

Find an excellent Show Heifer for $3000 - $4500 and have yourself a project plus income for as long as you want to play the game.  Steers are like Boats, nice to have, but will always cost more than they're worth.

chambero

We show mostly our own steers we raise, and there is no way we come close to breaking even if you truly count all of your expenses - feed, utilities, show supplies, etc.  If that's your goal, get a pig/sheep/goat.  But we wouldnt trade showing steers for anything. 

A solid steer from someone trying to raise show steers should cost a minimum of about $2k with market prices and feed costs.  That's most folks base price this year for ones worth showing unless there is some kind of special circumstance.

woltemathangus

AAOK said:
Find an excellent Show Heifer for $3000 - $4500 and have yourself a project plus income for as long as you want to play the game.  Steers are like Boats, nice to have, but will always cost more than they're worth.

This couldn't be more true. Big money steers are good to have if you have a lot of disposable income. You should buy a show heifer make some money from her and work your way up.

ruhtram

AAOK said:

Good Point!!

simba

I agree with the above posts about getting a heifer instead, but if you are dead set on getting a steer I would say don't focus on the price, focus on the quality. What I mean by that is don't tell yourself "I'm going to buy a $4000 steer because then he will win" tell yourself "I'm going to look for the best steer I can and my max budget is..." Last year I ended up buying a commercial simmy X angus steer. I paid market price, which was about $1300. A guy I show against bought his 9 year old daughter a real fancy clubby steer for $4500. Because I knew what I was up against I worked harder on that steer than I had on any other animal I've ever owned. At our 4-H show we both ended up winning our classes but neither of us moved on past that point. Both of our steers sold for about the same price, $3200-ish. If you don't look at feed costs I made almost 2 grand. The 9 year old girl with the fancy steer lost around $1300. I guess what I'm saying is get the best steer for your budget and then work like crazy to make him look like a $10 000 animal. Shop around too, you'd be amazed how cheap you can get some real nice steers. Good luck!

chambero

The factor on a heifer is you have to have access to land to keep one after showing.  A lot of kids showing do not.

kidsandkows

All this is good advice. In our area though I would say that you can definately make a profit, and secondly definately win and make a profit. Our sale probably averaged $4200 this last year which is really good. And I think if you look hard enough and for the right things you can find a steer (again in our area) for $1500 to $2000. I would also recommend shopping for feed etc. We calculate how much we will need and go to a mill and buy in bulk like mentioned above. Also if you are new to this dont get all equipment at once or if you are older (almost done with show career) I would just borrow equipment. We have producers and even our county extension office that will loan clipping chutes or blowers etc to kids for their first few years. If you like and want to continue then start getting things peice by peice. I dont want to discourage anybody from showing steers it is a blast, just be smart talk to a lot of people and you will find opportunites. We have some producers that will let you pay them for the steer after you sell it, I know that is not normal but we are lucky. Have fun.

lazy76

Shop around!!! That's the key. I found a steer in the midwest for a local family that wanted to be competitive at our county show, gave $1200 for him from a big time club calf producer, the family feed a local feed lot ration that cost the about $1300 total, and worked their butts off and won the county show. They had a total of $2700 in the project, after some vet bills and hoof trimming and the steer brought $4000 in the sale. $1300 profit

Steerman12

From my experience if you can break even on a calf, you are doing really well! Most of the time I plan on losing some money.. But like others have said, location is completely relevant to what it takes. Scout out your competition and know what you have to compete against. Remember, feeding is a big factor, it isn't uncommon to see a lower dollar animal waylay the more expensive one due to the work done at home! Like someone said before as well, a good eye will take you a long way! Good luck!

GHCC

We bought each of our sons a steer this year and gave $1400 ea. at 550#.  One was an Eye Candy and one a Hired Man.  Fed good quality feed at a cost of about $1000 each.  We are in Indiana and would love to have the sale prices most of you speak of.  Our steers brought $900.00 each and we get to keep the animal.  We sold both steers for freezer beef at $1.25 per pound, about $1550 ea.  Total income per calf of $2450.00 total cost of $2400.00.  The Eye Candy was Res. Grand over some fairly high dollar calves.  You can break even and be competitive it just takes a good eye and hard work.

grandchamp58

I'm having the same conflict this year too! I really would like to show a good calf this year. I work really hard and I have enough money to buy a really nice calf, but I don't want to LOSE money. I enjoy it so much that I would be fine with breaking even. But just like everyone else has said- you need to shop around! A lot of people on my county go out west and buy nice cattle for market price. Just keep your eyes open and figure out what you plan to do. If I spend a lot of money on my calf I'm gonna take him to every show possible just to see what he does. I think it depends on if you look at it as a money maker, then spend as little as possible. If you look at it as a hobby, maybe lose a little. If you see it as both, break-even.

Diamond G

We just paid $750 for our sons angus steer. I dont know the bulls name but he is a really nice reg bull from I think Alabama, not really sure which bull was in that herd but all the bulls here are well bred and reg ($1.25/lb for a 600lb steer)