What to use on Salute Daughters

Help Support Steer Planet:

drl

I have several daughters of Salute in my herd. What has been working on them? I guess I would want to be on the clubbier/show side of things. Heifers would be great but a bull calf would more than likely become a steer around here. I am a little worried about birthweights since several of them were bred to calving ease bulls but still threw calves around a 100.

shortyjock89

It's gonna be tough to go clubby on them at all with all the BW behind them.  Your best shot at a show heifer is gonna be something like Gus I guess. I would probably try Major Leroy on one or two. I heard Secretariat's BW's aren't too bad, and he'll make show calves pretty easy. 

shortdawg

I would think several bulls could work: for steers JPJ, heifers Ace of Diamonds or Gus, also think Gus could put you a great breeding bull on the ground as well.

M-n-M Cattle Company

We just just had two JPJ calves out of salutle daughters the one was 120+ lbs and was so slow and then the other was around 80lbs and is fine. So I guess it's a hit or miss. Both calves are very nice though. 

OH Breeder

drl said:
I have several daughters of Salute in my herd. What has been working on them? I guess I would want to be on the clubbier/show side of things. Heifers would be great but a bull calf would more than likely become a steer around here. I am a little worried about birthweights since several of them were bred to calving ease bulls but still threw calves around a 100.

The one reason I can not bring myself to use him is the BW EPD of 8.2 with .94 ACC. That scares the crap out of me. There may not be a whole lot you can get away with using. Consistent calving ease sires and even then you can get a big one. We have a big maine/shorthorn cow older genetics that throws 100#'s plus even to calving ease bulls. Her smallest calf was 125 out of Gizmo.  She is going to become a reciep because she is just too big and her calves are too.
Do you want to develop a Shorthorn Plus market- You could definintely go Red Angus on those gals and then breed back Shorthorn after you get BW's down a bit. That would be my first choice. Second would be Gizmo. You won't gain any size or bone but loads of volume and spring of rib. Make nice females. JIT has some experience up north with Salute.

Bone2011

We have one Salute heifer, we bred her to SAV Final Answer, and let me tell you, she had a bull and that one is a amazing little calf. Came out with a 80 lbs. bw. And that little bugger is stout!

shorthorn boy

I have a Salute heifer bred to Gus that is due the middle of April and i am pretty excited about this calf.

justintime

I only have two Salute cows in our herd, and both are three years old now. Both have now had their second calves, and I have not assisted any of the four calves. Last year, both calved unassisted to our Mist's Return bull. They were both bred to Wolf Willow Major Leroy last year, and this spring, the first to calve had a very good polled bull calf with a BW of 90 lbs. The second Salute daughter ( a flush mate to Timeline) calved this morning with a 86 lb polled heifer calf. Both are excellent calves.

Maybe I have just been lucky but I have not touched a Salute calf or any calf from a Salute son or daughter.... but then my numbers of Salute influenced cattle is very small.

sue

OH Breeder said:
drl said:

The one reason I can not bring myself to use him is the BW EPD of 8.2 with .94 ACC. That scares the crap out of me. There may not be a whole lot you can get away with using. Consistent calving ease sires and even then you can get a big one. We have a big maine/shorthorn cow older genetics that throws 100#'s plus even to calving ease bulls. Her smallest calf was 125 out of Gizmo.  She is going to become a reciep because she is just too big and her calves are too.
Do you want to develop a Shorthorn Plus market- You could definintely go Red Angus on those gals and then breed back Shorthorn after you get BW's down a bit. That would be my first choice. Second would be Gizmo. You won't gain any size or bone but loads of volume and spring of rib. Make nice females. JIT has some experience up north with Salute.

Salute is a -11.0 for Calving Ease which is why the daughters of Salute have such large calves. I am glad you bring up the Accuracy point OH Breeder?  YOu could mate to the breeds top 5% for BW epd  and CE but still not have calving ease or calves that come with low BW as evident with some of the JPJ matings posted. Salute makes a tough female base to have unless you want to sell steers... YOu could do a search for the breeds top 1% for Calving ease and BEPD. In the days of dealing with "big dumb and stupid" we just sold the females instead of using them as replacements....cuz big dumb and stupid is capable of reproducing the same again and again.
Curious to know if anyone is using Salute or a son of Salute these days?

redwingfarm

I have 2 daughters of salute in production now as 1st calf heifers, and at least so far they really milk, we have never had birthwiehgt problems with them when they were born or with their 1st calves, if you want steers from them I would consider SS Kaboom, calving ease Sonny son that i have seen several good steers and some good show heifers

justintime

There have been some big calves born from Salute, but their has been some big calves born from some bulls that are considered calving ease bulls. I could mention two well known calving ease bulls that I have had calves off that produced calves that were bigger than expected. I band any bull calf over 110 lbs at birth. So far I have two bull calves from one of these bulls and 4 off the other. All 6 calves have been banded because of BWs over 110 lbs.I will not mention these sires as both of their owners are regulars on SP. To date, I have had 6 Salute calves of which 4 were bulls. The heaviest at birth was Timeline, who is shown in my avator at the side, and he was 105 lbs. The second crop of Timeline calves are just starting to arrive this spring and so far, I have only heard of one calf that has required assistance, and that was from a heifer last year.  This is why I think we need to find a better way to identify calving ease other than by only using birth weights. Birth weight is definitely a component, but it is not the only factor.

I also think that some calving issues are management related. This will always be the case, but if someone has calving issues from a sire, then it is assumed that everyone will have calving issues. This is simply not the case. So far, this spring I have 62 calves on the ground and I have assisted 1 cow, which had a dead calf.  Our birth weights overall in 2010, are considerably lower than last year, probably due to the weather. Everything else has been the same.

drl

Thanks everyone. I get to see enough clubbies but not as many shorthorns to have a good handle on what is working other than SULL prefixes.

sue

justintime said:
There have been some big calves born from Salute, but their has been some big calves born from some bulls that are considered calving ease bulls. I could mention two well known calving ease bulls that I have had calves off that produced calves that were bigger than expected. I band any bull calf over 110 lbs at birth. So far I have two bull calves from one of these bulls and 4 off the other. All 6 calves have been banded because of BWs over 110 lbs.I will not mention these sires as both of their owners are regulars on SP. To date, I have had 6 Salute calves of which 4 were bulls. The heaviest at birth was Timeline, who is shown in my avator at the side, and he was 105 lbs. The second crop of Timeline calves are just starting to arrive this spring and so far, I have only heard of one calf that has required assistance, and that was from a heifer last year.  This is why I think we need to find a better way to identify calving ease other than by only using birth weights. Birth weight is definitely a component, but it is not the only factor.

I also think that some calving issues are management related. This will always be the case, but if someone has calving issues from a sire, then it is assumed that everyone will have calving issues. This is simply not the case. So far, this spring I have 62 calves on the ground and I have assisted 1 cow, which had a dead calf.  Our birth weights overall in 2010, are considerably lower than last year, probably due to the weather. Everything else has been the same.
Calving Ease CE is the ability of a sire to produce calves to come UNASSISTED (regardless of birth weight) a + positive numbeR is the ideal but in Salute's case he is a negative and a large negative at that. This would indicate that he is capable of producing  calves  that require roughly 10 times more assistance then breed average.(-11) THE CE  IS USUALLY PRINTED BEFORE THE BW    EPD FIGURE.

Many times this CE figure is not printed in catalogs but is the better EPD to look at for determining a true calving ease sire.  If you need a better understanding of EPDs go to ASA web page and look up EPD's explained.
HERE IS ANOTHER WAY TO UNDERSTAND Calving Ease EPD:  If you reported all of the HC Timeline calves as 1 or unassisted good chance he would be a +CE bull in no time and his BEPD would drop to a 0 or negative number. The best or quickest way to change epds on younger bulls is use a older "proven" calving ease bull in the contemporary group. So you are recording a low accuracy bull with a high acc bull used in the same environment and managed the same way and report EVERYTHING in the same year at the same time.

With all of this information now we have to recognize that a Salute daughter going into production have a fairly high chance of not calving unassisted?
As indicated in this post.

trevorgreycattleco

As far as I'm concerned, any bull with a bw epd of 8.4 at .94 acc should be at the top of the other thread on here about which bulls will we look back on in 20 years and say what in the wide world of sports were we thinkin? :eek: I had my Trump Rodeo Drive trainwrecks along time ago and reading about Salute only solidifies my belief to leave all that in the rear view mirror. I can't afford to feed my cows a all you can eat buffet to keep em lookin good. In my opinion, anything over 100 lbs need to be steered.