What works on Heat Wave Daughters?

Help Support Steer Planet:

DTW

Pelvic measure is great but what i have seen on some heifers i measured years ago they had enough room but they had some birthweight in their pedigree so still made for some pulling of calves.
Also it was the shape of the calves.  That big hip and shoulders dont come out very easy no matter what the birth weight is. 
If the calf is shaped right birth weight is not an issue but when dealing with clubbed up cows and clubby bulls on top of it the calves are not shaped like normal cattle are for lack of a better word.  and thus is why you are having those c sections out of clubby heifers.

BCCC

Do not bred your heatwave heifers to Ali! Only option for heatwave heifers is angus. Ali is a calving ease bull...but NOT on heatwaves.  If they are cows I have seen some great wmw, Ali, and alias calves

Reinken Cattle Co.

I have a HW heifer bred to tiny tim... I had her pelvis measure last month she can stand having a 75lb calf.. I think she will do ok and shes still 2 weeks out of calving and starting to make a bag so hoping for the best. Also went to the drury sale yesterday and picked up a 4 year old hw cow bred to carnac should I be worried about her?! shes four years old they kept her around for a reason... I feel like if she didnt milk they already would have canned her.

CJC

Reinken Cattle Co. said:
I have a HW heifer bred to tiny tim... I had her pelvis measure last month she can stand having a 75lb calf.. I think she will do ok and shes still 2 weeks out of calving and starting to make a bag so hoping for the best. Also went to the drury sale yesterday and picked up a 4 year old hw cow bred to carnac should I be worried about her?! shes four years old they kept her around for a reason... I feel like if she didnt milk they already would have canned her.
You also gotta keep in mind there is a reason they got rid of her.

Steered

Reinken Cattle Co. said:
Also went to the drury sale yesterday and picked up a 4 year old hw cow bred to carnac should I be worried about her?! shes four years old they kept her around for a reason... I feel like if she didnt milk they already would have canned her.

Heatwave son on a Heatwave daughter??? Might work, but I would keep the puller nearby...

Reinken Cattle Co.

CJC said:
Reinken Cattle Co. said:
You also gotta keep in mind there is a reason they got rid of her.

But they got rid of the 4 year old because they had a total dispersal... so you would think they wouldnt have kept for four years if troubles milking.

DTW

When you buy cows off a dispersal sale you have no idea how the cow milked or if she calved easy.  I dont understand and am scratching my head at breeding a heat wave daughter to a heat wave son carnac.  Might get a great freak or a complete dud. 
Also if the cow wasnt tested or sold as TH negative you could have a TH deformed calf you will have to destroy. 

I know from my experience on heat wave daughters is i will not keep them.  Poor milkers barely enought to keep the calf alive on some of them and they have a father in heat wave that has a huge birthweight and it can show up depending on how the cow is bred. 

On the note of having a heifer with a pelvic measure that she can have a 75 lb calf at birth is not a very big pelvis. 

Cowboy

I fought this very thing for 4 years on what I thoght was a su fire - no miss young cow. Her first calf was 115 from a neg birth weight Angus bull. Second calf was 122 - a backwards hfr out of a calving ease 3/4 Ma bull -- third calf was over 130 and dead from Star Power -- all of these were very hard pulls.

I finally bred her this spring to the following bull -- he is called "" IBP Stun-Gun"" Calf came so small I never even seen it -- and the cow just fell over dead from shock! Go figure!

Terry

CAB

Reinken Cattle Co. said:

I know that there are some that think that the HW's are OK cows, but by & large they won't milk. When PPL are all saying and selling them, I wouldn't go around and collect too many of them. Just way too many PPL that are all saying that they don't/won't, or can't milk. There's a reason that all of those HW's are in the sales. JMO. I have one HW cow here that is a good cow, the rest are all gone due to little or NO milk. I won't ever keep another nor will I ever buy one on a sale. If we get a catalog with  HWs in the pedigree, we just quickly move on to the next cow in the sale.

knabe

Reinken Cattle Co. said:
so you would think they wouldnt have kept for four years if troubles milking.

sometimes input costs cloud one's judgement.

sometimes we keep going out with people who are abusive.

people in hollywood keep getting married, and women keep marrying basketball players with no hopes of income past their playing days.

people keep voting for benefits even though they pay no taxes.

there are lots of examples of denial.

Throttle

HW 1st calf heifer had a Juneau bull a week or so ago...bout 60 lbs a couple of days late...she laid down and had it...got up and cleaned it...it jumped up and nursed...she cleaned and is really milking well from a pretty little udder. The way I would have them all go if I could, and she was even a little thin at calving and I was worried about how it would go, but she is holding condition well so far, and the calf is easily the coolest looking Angus sired one I've ever had. Now I will say that this is the first HW that I have ever kept and was very selective in the process, as she is out of the best cow that has ever been on the place.

HerefordGuy

Bulldaddy said:
hevmando said:
I am the rookie of rookies in the cattle showing hobby.  My daughter has a Heatwave daughter out of an extrememly productive Sim/Angus dam.  Are we fooling ourselves to even try to breed her?  The person we bought her from whom I trust and respect greatly thought if a Heatwave daughter ever had a chance of being a decent momma, this cross should due to the dam's side.  What are everyone's thoughts on this? 

With the good SimAngus cow on the dam side it may be worth taking a chance.  Why not have your vet measure her pelvis before you breed her?  Then you can maked an informed decision rather than a guess based on hysertia.
Bulldaddy- Are you suggesting using DATA and MEASUREMENTS to make a decision??? Are you crazy?  ;)

cowzrus

Cowboy said:
I fought this very thing for 4 years on what I thoght was a su fire - no miss young cow. Her first calf was 115 from a neg birth weight Angus bull. Second calf was 122 - a backwards hfr out of a calving ease 3/4 Ma bull -- third calf was over 130 and dead from Star Power -- all of these were very hard pulls.

I finally bred her this spring to the following bull -- he is called "" IBP Stun-Gun"" Calf came so small I never even seen it -- and the cow just fell over dead from shock! Go figure!

Terry

[/quo

Cowboy, loved your irony there lol.  I still love my heatwave momma even though it was a small wreck lol.  you made me laugh on that one.

Bulldaddy

HerefordGuy said:
Bulldaddy said:
hevmando said:
I am the rookie of rookies in the cattle showing hobby.  My daughter has a Heatwave daughter out of an extrememly productive Sim/Angus dam.  Are we fooling ourselves to even try to breed her?  The person we bought her from whom I trust and respect greatly thought if a Heatwave daughter ever had a chance of being a decent momma, this cross should due to the dam's side.  What are everyone's thoughts on this? 

With the good SimAngus cow on the dam side it may be worth taking a chance.  Why not have your vet measure her pelvis before you breed her?  Then you can maked an informed decision rather than a guess based on hysertia.

Bulldaddy- Are you suggesting using DATA and MEASUREMENTS to make a decision??? Are you crazy?  ;)

Like a fox, I hope anyway.

shufly

There was another post about ET that talked about sexing the embryos.  Could you flush a HW for the sole purpose of her male embryos? Letting good milking, bigger pelvic cows have and raise them sounds like the best option.  And will this work or do you have to let the HW daughter have natural calves too???  Maybe a lonhorn bull would be a good bet if you do so they would be small enough to be born alive.  HA HA...

kfacres

I can see it now.. cover of SC.. Lautner' promoting a new 'calving ease' clubby AI sire... Longhorn x HW daughter... guarenteed to come out easy. and win the Longhorn division !!!  hehe

I used to have a neighbor that always bred his heifers to a Longhorn..  came easy and narrow..  of course they stayed that way their whole lives- but he never pulled a calf

cotullaguy

Cowboy said:

Terry

that has to be one of the greatest stories on this board...in a bad way that is...

Downtown Pete

I've got two heatwave yearlings that will be running with a neighbor's corriente bull this summer.  pulled enough of them to know that they will change an angus enough that they will be too big most of the time.  Just want to get a live calf and then see what I have for a cow.  Odds are against me, but like other people, thought these two were just too good to take to the sale barn.  Sure I'm screwing myself but who knows...

AJH

You just need to watch what you buy for Heatwave Cows and heifers, Theres a bunch of good cows out there, out of HW, You can't buy one that's clubby on the dam side and expect her to make a good cow, HW's Dam is very maternal out of a taz cow, and beyond that theres a bunch of great purebred angus cows in her pedigree