What would you breed her too?

Help Support Steer Planet:

showgirl15

I have a Reg Shorthorn Heifer out of Lil Paint( Elbee Leader son) and from the Dam she is a Double Vision and is currently bred too Jakes Proud Jazz. What are your thoughts on her and what would you breed her too after I would like to maybe get some Maine Influence in her because I would like a bit more bone under her and maybe a little body. I do not have her PH and TH testing done but I do believe she is a PH carrier just by her blood lines but to be safe I would really like TH and PH free bull. Thank you for any advice!

P.S. This picture is from less than a year ago. I will hopefully get a updated picture of her as she is due the middle of October!

Attachments

• Rosie.jpg
    Rosie.jpg
    405.6 KB · Views: 229

dsmith16

Tiger Woods wouldnt be a bad idea. I think Thriller or I67 could work too. I know he isnt th free but Unstoppable is really big boned and part Maine.  8)

maineanjou87

I have a half shorthorn cow and hes not the most popular choice but i used imortal and i had one of the biggest boned widest hipped long haired clean fronted calves ive ever had out of that cow

showgirl15

I have thought about using Thriller on my heifer! Thank you for the feedback.

shortdawg

I'd like to see that JPJ calf out of her. For what you say she needs I'd bet that he would fix a lot of her faults.

knabe

i can see jpj making her more wastey made, particularly over the tail head, otherwise known as pone fat.

call elbee

knabe

showgirl15 said:
This picture really doesnt do her justice. She is alot cleaner fronted then what you can see in the picture!

i'm talking over the rear end.  she appears to have a nice wedge front.  do her some justice with more pics.

misskarly

I would be careful with Thriller if this is only her second calf. We had a family friend have to c-section Thriller calves out of 5th and 6th calf donors this year. Not a good deal. I don't care what those guys advertise him at these came out very huge!

cpratz

misskarly said:
I would be careful with Thriller if this is only her second calf. We had a family friend have to c-section Thriller calves out of 5th and 6th calf donors this year. Not a good deal. I don't care what those guys advertise him at these came out very huge!
The Thriller calves I had were all like 75-80 lbs

misskarly

cpratz said:
misskarly said:
The Thriller calves I had were all like 75-80 lbs

I'm just saying I've seen some really big ones. One persons experiences are always gonna be different than another's

cattlekidsmom

I think I would use the same caution with Amen. We used him on mature cows and had huge calves which needed assistance.
But as stated earlier but someone else, everyone's experiences are different.
We are extremely happy with the Amen calves. Both are thick and well-balanced.