What would you breed this CharX heifer to??

Help Support Steer Planet:

oakbar

Looking for some ideas on what to breed this CharX heifer to--she is out of a Wyoming Wind Daughter and Dr Who.

Attachments

• Char X Heifer at Sioux Falls 1-09    25.JPG
    Char X Heifer at Sioux Falls 1-09 25.JPG
    112.4 KB · Views: 177

herefordfootball

TMJ Show Cattle said:
Cimson Tide, Carpe Diem, for colored calves.
Dont know if I'd go CT on a first calf heifer. I've seen some cool lookin smokes out of Total Solution and Shiver. Breed her either way and I think you'll get a knockout Smoke!!! If you go TS it'll be double bred but it just depends on how picky you are with that sort of thing. Good Luck!!! :)

oakbar

I've been thinking Money Man because I've always had easy birthing calves from him and they usually seem pretty stylish.  She should be in heat tomorrow so we will probably use Money Man unless we go with another Maine bull that we have  on hand like Premium Blend, Open Bar, DCC The Man, or something like that.  Just thought I'd check with everyone again to see if there were any other ideas.  Thanks for all your help!!

Mark H

It is impossible to give specific recommendations based on a picture.  I would liketo know her BW weaning wt, yearling wt etc.  But Charolais bulls I would consider are LT Western Edge, MXS Vermillion and Shelco Made Easy.  Of these Made Easy is the easiest calving.  Also no inbreeding issues with these matings plus predictable performance and calving ease.

herefordfootball

The Driver said:
Dirty Harry
If you go Dirty Harry, be careful he kinda makes them straight in the back leg and will add a little frame which it doesnt look like you need. He adds alot of hair, feminitity, and makes them pretty flashy, but with the frame deal and back leg thing I would probaly stay away from him, MoneyMan would probaly add some depth and hair, he might be the way to go. Good luck!!!

oakbar

Well, I guess Justin wins the lottery prize---we bred her to Money Man yesterday.  We debated going with Who Made Who even though it would put Who on both the top and the bottom of the pedigree, but I guess the luck we've had with the Money Man calves and calving ease kind of won out over the other thoughts.  I appreciate all your input---some of the bulls suggested are just too new on the scene for me to try just yet.  I'll keep them in mind for the future, though!!

dimebag

txguy said:
Tyson, Easy Out, Rocky Balboa, and possibly yellow jacket
i would not use yellow jacket on a heifer , they were some of my best calves last year but they were also the largest at birth .

TMJ Show Cattle

Hello,my family and I are visiting the folks at TMJ on our travels.One of Carries daughters was on the computer so I nosed around to see what the hub bub was about. I noticed that a post on Oakbar's thread said that they would NOT breed Crimson Tide to heifers. Stupid me bred him to 6 heifers last fall and had no problem with calving. I was sweating profusely. Calves weighed 78 to 86 lbs out of purebred Shorties,mostly Cates breeding.maybe it was just luck,don't know.